Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Default A2o from late

Party Poker, 10/20 table:

UTG limps, folds to MP3 calls, MP4 calls, SB calls, Hero on BB checks with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, HERO BETS, UTG folds, MP3 calls, MP4 calls, MP5 calls, SB folds.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

HERO checks, MP3 checks, MP4checks, MP5 bets, Hero raises, folds around to MP5 who calls.

River: 5h

Action on hero.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: A2o from late

hmmmmmm...he's either got a big spade or a made hand or a combo. I say bet since the only hand he can be induced to bluff on here is probably Ksx. If he has something like KsJx, then you're going to wish that you had bet. If he's got the baby flush or AJ and just got scared, he's gonna bet anyway and you'll have to call it.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:26 PM

i think you really have to bet the turn here, i would also bet the river
Old 12-12-2005, 04:36 PM

My reasoning for check-raising the turn is that out of 5 players, someone would lead out. Then, I can raise. Given the loose nature of my opponents and the size of the pot, anyone with a Kspade, Qspade, even ten spade will call my raise, and I'm getting more value.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:13 PM

I also like betting this turn. Two things can go wrong if you check this turn with the intention of raising:
1) It could get checked around.
2) You could get 3 bet by a better hand.

Sometimes when the pot is large enough you should still check with the intention of raising in this spot despite the 2 bad things that can happen, becuz a bet cannot protect your hand from a gutshot or other weak draws, and you think a guy in late position will bet if you check. But in your situation the pot is not that big, and a turn bet already forces any weak draw to call incorrectly or fold correctly so just betting is better than checking and raising IMO. To put it in other words, the risk/reward ratio is not favorable enough to make check raising the better option than betting in this situation.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:26 PM

I'm don't mind checkfolding the flop in a large field. But I'm weak. Since you bet the flop I'd definitely bet the turn. You improved to two pair.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm don't mind checkfolding the flop in a large field. But I'm weak. Since you bet the flop I'd definitely bet the turn. You improved to two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this situation, I like to check the flop and see what happens behind me. If it goes bet-raise, then im out. If it goes bet-call-call, I also fold. If it gets checked to a late position guy and he bets, I would probably play my hand as if its the best, and I would probably just call the flop and bet a non spade turn, or check and call the turn if im against a very aggressive opponent. Like you, I too do not like betting into large fields with this hand on this board.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 PM

I usually bet the river here. No way I'd bet the flop, though.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 PM

if you are gonna CR this, you should be doing this on the flop, not the turn. Checking that turn possibly allows a free turn to happen and let someone catch a spade. you really need to just lead the turn, many are gonna fold anyway. The river is a pretty easy bet
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM

Well, yeah, no way some people would bet the flop, except that an "A" and a "J" and "8" of spades are already out there, meaning that a lot of the flush card hole card combinations are already less probable. If, on the other hand, it was like "2" "4" and "6" of spades, I would be more worried.

And, it's a small bet that has even more value because against a table where players really aren't playing back at you, you can gauge if anyone has anything off the flop. When I got four callers, I was planning on laying this hand down on the turn. However, when a 2 came up, then I definitely wanted to stick around. It's an unorthodox play, I know.