Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Nooooooo! This is not the theology forum!

This is a classic example of a trying to argue a point using points of reference the other person does not recognise.

There is no point that saying DS does not know a lot about God because he doesn't belive in God, therefore from his point of view he knows everything there is to know about God. In fact in his mind (and in the mind of other atheists) he knows a lot more about God than you do and so is just as within his rights to say that God is like rushes as you are to say he isn't.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Another Question For Christians

Are you kidding? There isn't even an index or glossary in that thing!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Pascal\'s Wager...

[ QUOTE ]
Atheism does not relieve from dogmatism and obedience. Their minds are just as closed as anyone's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely untrue. If atheist's minds were closed, they would have silently accepted the misguided word of their fellow men that God exists. Atheistic minds are completely open to reality.

It is the religious mind that is closed. Not only that, the religious mind is generally fearful and irrational. And most often hateful and homicidal towards religious minds of differing dogma and mythology.

If you take a closed mind, and sprinkle in fear and irrationality, you pretty much have Christianity or Islam.

Interestingly, the religious mind always requires violence at some point to assert itself. The evidence is timeless and ubiquitous.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Well I ordered this book. I have always been curious about "other dimensions".

I think I paid $11 on Amazon. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I think you will appericate this book. If you aren't too much into the math you might want to skip some of the beginning where he goes into great detail. Towards the middle he begins to describe his ideas and theories in basic language. For 11 dollars it is worth it, I enjoyed thinking about the possiblities of someone or something existing in multiple dimensions more from a science point of view than an theological. However I am a Christian and found it to be intresting nevertheless.

To me this book answered the questions you ask as a kid to your parents in Church like: How can God hear all of our prayers at once?, or How can God be three different things (The Trinity)?

Don't get me wrong I don't think the ideas are defintive but rather hypothesis.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Atheistic minds are completely open to reality.

Interestingly, the religious mind always requires violence at some point to assert itself. The evidence is timeless and ubiquitous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't deny that violence has been committed in the name of Christianity, and virtually without exception it has been in violation of Scripture. Christians are sinners too. But if your mind was truly open to reality you would realize that more violence has been committed by non-Christians than Christians by an astronomical factor. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Hussein, for instance. Only Hitler showed any inclination towards some religious belief, but whatever he believed it bore no resemblence to Christianity. Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot were obvious atheists, and Hussein is a nominal Muslim, but I don't think Islam can be charged with his atrocities.

Humanity is violent. If religion disappeared tomorrow, by Monday the human race might likely have disappeared as well.

Atheism is the truly irrational, for how can you pretend to rationality when you think the universe itself is irrational?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't Pascal's wager just a small EV river call into an infinite pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is the fundamental flaw with Pascal's wager. Indeed, the assumption is that there is no harm in believing in God if he doesn't exist, and the payoff is huge if you believe and he does exist. Unfortunately, there is a cost involved as well, which, depending on your religion, might involve at least a few hours of worship per week in addition to all sorts of prescriptions/proscriptions for how to live your life.

And further, how does one know in which religion/belief to subscribe?

Ultimately, in order to fully protect ourselves, we would need to be open to practicing all sorts of religious beliefts, "just to be safe."

I think I'll just try to live a decent, moral life.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Futurama shows how I see religion

High Priest: Great Wall Of Prophecy, reveal to us God's will that we will blindly obey.
Priests: (chanting) Free us from thought and responsibility.
High Priest: We shall read things off you.
Priests: (chanting) Then do them.
High Priest: Your words guide us.
Priests: (chanting) We're dumb.

I went to a catholic school in elementary, and they reinforce this idea all damn day long. Math and science is ok to think about, god gave us that, but you must believe and you must not question the chain'o'command.

I don't believe that our weak feeble minds could comprehend a real power capable of controlling or brinking to life the universe. If there is a "greater being," I have a real hard time believing that an organized religion has captured the concept. I don't know. You don't know. Nobody knows. I feel organized religion is a cruth for people afraid of the afterlife to make them feel good about themselves.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and God will cast me into hell for using my mind, which he gave me, to question what I'm being told by every random person who throws this book that people wrote in my face. If that's the way it is, then this "infinite loving God" is unworth of my devotion.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Futurama shows how I see religion

[ QUOTE ]

God will cast me into hell for using my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you really used your mind when you base all your hatred of religion on experiences you had with one form of one religion when you were in elementary school?

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know. You don't know. Nobody knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really using your mind when you claim this kind of omniscience?

[ QUOTE ]

I feel organized religion is a cruth for people afraid of the afterlife to make them feel good about themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel atheism is a crutch for people afraid of the afterlife to make them feel they are good people.

After all, if our "weak, feeble minds" are incapable of grasping God, why wouldn't we need His crutch?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
baa.aabaa.aab

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 05-06-2005, 04:29 PM

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, " Abba! Father!"