Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Reraised ... what to do, what to do.

Is it 160 or 300 more for you to call? I always forget how these hand histories come out. If it's 300 more, I'd push QQ+ and AKs. For 160 more I'd push with those hands and probably call with AKo, AQs, JJ, TT. Fold everything else in both instances. Tighter might be better for the latter group of hands, but having shorty in there sure is giving you some juicy pot odds. Some people would only make this smallish reraise with AA/KK though, so I think a read is really important here.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:15 AM

300 total, 160 back to me.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:22 AM

Yuck -- I don't like that situation because you can be almost sure he's got a big hand, but you pretty much have to call with a wide range with so much in the pot. I'd call with approximately the range I gave, and just play the flop cautiously.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Without reads I think I'd fold everything else and push with QQ+.. Maybe even should be KK+ but then maybe not. The minireraise just smells like a Big Pocket to me. I don't play the 100+9's, so I don't know if people there minireraise to represent AA half the time they minireraise or something, but that would be kinda weird I think. And I would suppose that they're not usually fishy enough to minireraise with something like AT or KQ here.

I don't much like calling in almost any scenario. If you have reads that make you think you are good enough to push, then push, but I don't think you should call and see the flop just because you have nice pot odds, since you have little implied odds and not winning the pot seriously damages your stack.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't much like calling in almost any scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I'd call with any pair that I wasn't pushing with.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What hands do you do what with here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold Q4o here.

I got 8 running... I'll probably answer for some other hands later.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yuck -- I don't like that situation because you can be almost sure he's got a big hand, but you pretty much have to call with a wide range with so much in the pot. I'd call with approximately the range I gave, and just play the flop cautiously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want to see the flop with a wide range if you're sure they've got a big hand? You can't hope to flop 2-pair or better, and if you don't get two-pair or better, how can you think to be ahead if villain's likely holding is QQ+? How cautiously are you planning to play the flop? Pray for a check all the way to the river? If they check (pretty much regardless of the flop), it's just as likely (or more so) to be a sign of weakness as it is to be a sign of trapping your entire stack in.

It's not like you always have to call when you have nice odds. This is a tournament we're talking about.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you don't put villain on such a tight range as I do? How would you play your pairs then, and what pairs?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you don't put villain on such a tight range as I do? How would you play your pairs then, and what pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting almost 5-1 immediate odds on my money and have another 550 behind. I'm willing to see if I can spike a set here. I'm probably wrong.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to see the flop with a wide range if you're sure they've got a big hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you're getting nearly 5:1 on your call.

[ QUOTE ]
You can't hope to flop 2-pair or better, and if you don't get two-pair or better, how can you think to be ahead if villain's likely holding is QQ+?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can -- as well as a set with your pocket pairs or a flush draw with AKs/AQs. Plus you obviously have implied odds for the rest of your stack if you do hit nicely. By cautiously I don't mean you should always check/fold if you don't hit perfectly, but be prepared to fold on a lot of flops.

Even though it's a tournament, your pot odds are fantastic, and a call won't knock you out. I just think there's too much in this pot to fold a hand like TT or AQs to such a small re-raise.