Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 03:14 PM

Default 5/5 NL Foxwoods hand

This is a hand that I had last night at the Foxwoods 5/5 NL $200 min table that has really been bugging me. I sat down at this table about 30 min. before this hand came down and had been raising almost every pot and had a fairly loose/gambling table image. I am in the BB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and there are 3 limpers. SB checks and I check. Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The first limper bets $50, one fold, CO calls $50 and the SB raises to $150. I don't have a great read on the SB, but from what I had gathered he was a fairly tight/passive type player. I raise to $400 straight which was about the size of the pot give or take. Two players fold and it comes back to the SB who goes all in for about $1000 total. Whoops! What do you do? I will post results later.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Results:

He has a set or the straight, and you called and lost.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:18 AM

Default Re: 5/5 NL Foxwoods hand

I think some stack sizes would help in this post...
You say you are in the big blind but on the flop you checked? I would play this two pair straight forwardly and lead out - you might have had a better idea of where you are for a cheaper price. Now when he moves in I would almost certainly think he has two pair beat, but you had to pay 400 to find out. Looks like a fairly routine fold even given your gambling image you described. Anyhow - I think you should have led out on the flop and when it comes a bet/call/raise to you - I would almost think of dropping instead of making it 400 straight. There are most likely better spots to get in then 2 pair in an unraised pot with a flush draw and straight draw on the board...
Tom Collins great one line post by the way. Really gave us some insight, love your contribution...(can you sense the sarcasm?)
By the way this advice may be a little weak tight as I am still learning alot myself...
Old 09-13-2004, 07:49 AM

you were better off never calling the initial raise on the flop. its possible that the small blind has a smaller twopair, but mathematically he is going to have a better hand than yours a larger portion of the time. unless hes a reckless cannon, he cant be making this move with a 7. its possible that he has a flush draw, but the way he played it, its more likely that he has a flush draw and a 7, making him a favorite over you. not only that, but if you reraise you are only going to be called/reraised by better hands.

fold
Old 09-13-2004, 11:11 AM

Im gonna opt for soothsayer Tom Collins' rendition. I was growing apart from your hand once the SB raised, and when he pushed I felt like I didnt even know the tramp anymore.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:49 PM

you should have led on this flop but since you checked you fold to the raise. my guess is that SB has 5X of clubs
Old 09-13-2004, 06:20 PM

My contribution is you are still learning, and I am a killer.

Range of hands I put opponent on are 1) Overpair. 2) Set 3) Straight 4) 5xc 6) A worse 2 pair.

The only hand you are in great shape against is 6. An overpair still has 5 outs to improve on the turn, and 9 outs to improve on the river.

Leading out is the correct play here. Two pair is a very overvalued hand, especially when draws are out.