Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: AK on button novice question

Thanks for the comments they're very much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are two players with us on the turn.

and yeah, i knew this was 6-max. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

for some reason I thought we were in the micro forum...I'm the confused one!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:34 PM

Hmmm....seems to be conflicting opinions dependant upon the type of opponents. Are we saying this:

Against Loose opponents we get to a showdown as cheaply as possible.

Against tight opponents we bet the turn to try and scare them off. If they are still around on the River we check. And what would we do if the tight player bets into us on the River?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 PM

I like.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So bet the turn, if you get raised fold

[/ QUOTE ]
can't fold, which is a big reason why we don't bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could remember that more often. There are too many showdowns I haven't seen because I thought it was important to maintain the initiative.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 PM

I usually bet this turn as I think that since you have added equity from picking up the draw, the chance of folding out a better hand or a hand that would improve to beat you on the river outweighs what you lose to the times you get c/red.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm....seems to be conflicting opinions dependant upon the type of opponents. Are we saying this:

Against Loose opponents we get to a showdown as cheaply as possible.

Against tight opponents we bet the turn to try and scare them off. If they are still around on the River we check. And what would we do if the tight player bets into us on the River?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, A loose guy is less likly to fold (Loose passive) and a loose aggressive may raise us which sucks.

A tight guy will raise and we can fold, A tight guy may fold though so its a better chance of him folding to my bet(Turn bets have more respect than flop bets) however this will soon change when everyone realises Flop/turn bets are standard bluff lines.

Its a bit like the whole "SLow play trips to turn" everyone caught on, So then they went for the "Fast play trips, they wont think you haev trips as they suspect the slow play" this will revert back in time... Amusing eh?

What do YOU think you'd do if a tight player bets into you on the river.
*PSSST* you hold Ace HIGH with king kicker.

Ok you fold, Unless hes a major bluffer and you have a solid read inwhich case the pot size would say if you call or fold most likly.(And the type of board). but i fold often.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 PM

I sort of disagree. I'd think a better time not to bet is when we have something like AT on a KJxx turn in a 4BB pot say. If we bet and get raised we have to fold but we had at least gutshot outs. If we get raised on this hand, we are definetly seeing the river, we do however have to pay two bets when we could have paid none. The bigger factor IMO is the type of opponents we are up against (aggro? tricky or straightforward?) and how likely they are to have something good on the turn. Those high cards are reasonably likely to have hit them, so I think that makes this debateable. I think the bigger reason to check is that one of them usually has a pair they ain't folding, so we may as well get our free card when we're behind.