Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Did I miss a protection raise on the turn?

MP1 is a full on fish. CO is a TAG who had a late post. Button is weak/tight post-flop 25/9/1.4. BB is a TAG.

Flop and turn were great for my hand, but I screwed this up on the turn I think. I should have 3-bet, yes? I was thrown off by the raise from the button...

When _would_ it have been correct just to call down? Never in a multiway large pot right (he says after the fact)...

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

River: (16.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Did I miss a protection raise on the turn?

1. Bet the flop. You have no reason to think that anyone will bet behind you. Letting this check through really sucks. You're actually hoping to get raised when you bet here.

2. The raise by button is pretty scary. I think a three-bet and a fold to a raise is better than a call-down. The pot is huge and really the only things that are beating you are 56, A2, and the sets. You have outs against two pair and you're hand really deserves some protection. You're basically looking to fold out a gutshot or any hand with overcards from the two intermediate players. (Note that you're almost never folding a straight or flush draw). It's kind of a painful bet to make but my intuition is that it's probably the best way to go in a 14 BB pot.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:27 PM

i'd just bet the flop.

3-betting the turn is spewing.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:47 PM

Bet the flop.

3-bet the turn. MP and CO have odds to call a single bet with as little as 2 overs. You're ahead much of the time, and you'd really like to buy whatever outs MP and CO have. If you get 4-bet, you can fold. This line only costs, at most, 1 more BB over calling down and substantially increases your chance of winning the pot.

If the pot wasn't so big I could see calling down, but not here.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM

Bet the flop.

Turn is tough. The weak tight button likely has at worst a set with that trapping raise on three players in a big pot. But I think I call down just in case he has A7 or pair+OESD type of hands.