Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Do I raise the flop? Pot the river?

Hello All,

$2/$4 online

2 limps to me in the CO and I ($595) limp behind w/ 66

button($500) limps, blinds come along, 6 to a flop

Flop ($24) A,A,6

SB bets $12 folded to me I raise to $40 to go ...thoughts?

Button cold calls, SB folds.

I guess I now know who has the ace.

I raised to keep any other pair bigger than mine from hitting their two outer on the turn (too weak?? I think it help keep things easier on later streets) in order to isolate someone if they had an A, or try to elicit another raise if there are two A's out and get it all in on the flop.

I also think raising the flop not only keeps it simpler on later streets, but I can build a big enough pot with anyone who has an A....is this too weak?

Turn (116) 8

I bet 100, button calls

River (316) 7

Do you pot it again, 1/2 pot, or push?

I was thinking 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.

I have no notes on the villian, I have played one orbit at the table, my 5th hand in I stacked a guy who held the nut flush with a turned full house (QQQAA) when I open limped AQ from UTG. I check called a AQ8 flop, checked a Q turn (checked behind), lead the flush river card and was raised.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Do I raise the flop? Pot the river?

Think I'd c/r the turn here, the ace will most certainly bet. Since you didn't, I'd probably push the river. I can see a 2/4 PP player calling off his stack w a naked A on there river here.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
NO!

Everything else is as standard as it gets.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:54 AM

the villain has about 350, the pot is over 300, if he's calling 200, he's calling all in at 2/4. just push. if he folds, he wasnt calling a value bet anyway.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:23 AM

wood-

The main idea here is that, unless someone has an A, you are going to get nothing. If they have an A, on the other hand, you might get a lot. With that in mind, I will raise the flop 100% of the time here. No A is going to bet/fold the flop, so they will call you here at least. If sb folds, you weren't getting any more anyway.

I will plan to play the turn/river in the same way- keep pounding, hope villain keeps calling.

On the river, your play here is probably opponent dependent- vs some players you can push. Also, the more LAG your image is, the better a push is. I usually bet 150 or 200 here. They know they are beat, but they are getting such a good price that they "have to call" (whereas they might wise up and fold to a push). If they c/r, you have to pay them off- villain could be really dumb and be "slowplaying" his AK or whatever, and you will be getting huge odds on your money.

-muz
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the check up.

With the flat call on the flop and turn I thought I may have been drawing dead, but you are right, there is so much in the pot I should get the rest in on the river.

I really wasn't sure if I should raise the flop and chase eveyone but the A's out, thanks for the confirmation.

I potted the river he flat called for the third time and showed me A7 for the rivered boat. Took me damn near 3 hours to get it back from him.

I can't believe he didn't raise the river.

Regards,
Woodguy