Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Good Fiction Poker Books

I'd recommend my poker novel that I've been working on for the last year with my buddy Bruce Stark....

It'll be done sometime between tomorrow and never, but hopefully will find a publishing house soon after that.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-15-2005, 03:29 PM

None of these are fiction, but all three are "leisure" poker reading (as opposed to strategy-based).

Amarillo Slim's book was very entertaining IMO. Lots of good anecdotes from back in the day...

I'm about halfway through the Stu Ungar book right now, which is entertaining as well. He was one crazy dude.

Also, the book about MIT's blackjack team was a great read - Bringin' Down the House. A very quick read as well. It's 200-300 pages, but you could get through it on a long plane flight.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:36 AM

I ordered Slims book " Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People " and also " Read 'Em and Weep". Has anybody read this. Looks like a collection of short stories related to gambling not just poker.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 AM

Read Em and Weep is a collection of poker writings. Some are chapters or parts taken from other books like a part from Bellin's Poker Nation. Looks worth while though for entertainment.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:51 AM

I agree - "King of a Small World" is very good. Should get more mentions when this topic come up.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Market for a Poker Mystery Novel?

What do you guys think is the market for a Poker Mystery Novel? A book that would combine quality analysis of poker hands, and intertwine it with a murder mystery, where the hero solves the mystery and finds out the murderer via the poker table.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Market for a Poker Mystery Novel?

I think it's a great idea - I'd think it would appeal to more casual poker fans as well. I always enjoyed Robert Arabella's poker mystery articles on pokerpages.com. A book would be even better.