Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: BR for 4-way play

I've gone on a 450 BB downswing.

Do you want to argue I'm not a winning player?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you plan on goin on a 400 bb downswing at 1/2, 500 bb is really excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone ever plans to go on a 400 bb downswing, and yet.....

And I was wrong, 500 bb at 1/2 is, indeed, $1000.00, not $2000.00. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing 800 dollars at 1/2 before dropping down to .50/1 is a retarded thing to do. If you lost 800 bucks at 1/2 then you were playing bad poker, on drugs, on tilt for an absurdly long time, or the unluckiest person alive.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing 800 dollars at 1/2 before dropping down to .50/1 is a retarded thing to do. If you lost 800 bucks at 1/2 then you were playing bad poker, on drugs, on tilt for an absurdly long time, or the unluckiest person alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens. Besides good bank roll habits should begin at the lower levels. If you're carrying only 300 as you move up you <u>will</u> lose it eventually.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i might want to argue that your play was probably not consistent of a winning player over the entire stretch
Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 AM

You do not need a bigger bankroll for playing four tables than for one table provided you play the exact same way. As someone noted, you're not moving to four times your original stakes; you're just making the hands happen four times faster.

In practice, we all play a little differently with more tables. I feel most people play better with two tables than one (less temptation to limp in on poor cards.) Moving to three and then four will probably impact your play in the other direction, though, until you get used to occasionally being on four hands at once.

Since the quality of your play will go down, you might be wise to keep a slightly bigger bankroll.

As well, your possible swing size per hour will increase. You'll often get the good tables matching bad table to minimize the change, but you have the potential for much bigger gains and losses in short periods of times. This takes tougher psychological stuff to handle. That's another good reason for a bigger bankroll; a $500 loss feel awful on a $1000 bankroll, while it's easy to stomache against $2500.

Lastly, you also need to remember the 300BB guideline is based on a providing a decent likelihood of not losing it all, assuming you are a good player. Are you really good enough?

If you're good enough, the 300BB bankroll gives a strong likelihood of not tapping out. It's not a guarantee. In fact, there's a significant chance of tapping out a 300BB bankroll. It's small, but possible.

Tapping out a $1/$2 bankroll is not a crusher. It can be replaced from other earnings (flip burgers for a month.) But if your game is $5/$10 and you've built a $5/$10 bankroll which is way more dispsable income than you put away in many months, you do NOT want your bankroll to tap out, ever.

So, how much is the right bankroll for you?

If you are really a good player and adjust well to the new game, you're just fine with 300BB. If you could replace the bankroll by trimming a few weeks of paychecks, then you can run a little more risky -- such as playing at levels where you're not yet sure of your relative skill level, such as 4-tabling.

On the other hand, if you've only played, say, 20,000 hands, then you don't really know your win rate. You're pretty sure you're a winner, but not by how much. Consider your entire bankroll at risk playing at 300BB. And if the bankroll is so big relative to your earnings that you can't replace it, stick with more than 300BB no matter how good your are.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i might want to argue that your play was probably not consistent of a winning player over the entire stretch

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, perhaps. I think I was a marginal winner even while I was seeing triple and crap though. Definitely not a big one for a while though.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You may play limit better than I do, but I would bet that my win rate when I play $1-$2 is much higher than your win rate at whatever limit you had that 450 BB downswing.

Bankroll requirements are proportional to SD^2/WR. Doubling your win rate cuts your bankroll requirements in half and vice versa. Huge downswings are usually caused by low win rates. Someone crushing a microlimit game with 150 BB may be safer than an expert in a tough game with 500 BB.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, perhaps. I think I was a marginal winner even while I was seeing triple and crap though. Definitely not a big one for a while though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will just note that 10 tabling on no sleep for a few days... is not a winning strategy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 02:18 PM

Normally you dont need a bigger roll, but i had a few times a 200-300BB downswing. And if it happens in the beginning you are underrolled.