Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Default ($33) Flopping a lowflush

***** Hand History for Game 3240451361 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Trny:18484801 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Wednesday, December 21, 20:08:10 EDT 2005
Table Table 68237 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: hi__forever ( $785 )
Seat 4: golf2much ( $800 )
Seat 5: grifmacmark ( $800 )
Seat 9: tekeman ( $965 )
Seat 10: Aq1Aq1 ( $770 )
Seat 1: hamoloney ( $625 )
Seat 3: Hero ( $800 )
Seat 6: Scoops17 ( $845 )
Seat 8: Odilia_ ( $800 )
Seat 7: Hell_72 ( $810 )
Trny:18484801 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 5c 2c ]
golf2much calls [15].
grifmacmark folds.
Scoops17 calls [15].
Hell_72 folds.
Odilia_ calls [15].
tekeman folds.
Aq1Aq1 folds.
hamoloney folds.
hi__forever calls [5].
Hero checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8c, 3c, 4c ]
hi__forever checks.
Hero bets [30].
golf2much folds.
Scoops17 raises [75].
Odilia_ calls [75].
hi__forever folds.
Hero ????

So I have a flush, but I also have the lowest possible clubs in my hand. I'm terrified of anyone else with a club. But offsetting that is my straightflush draw. So how do I bet this flop after a better, a raiser, and a cold caller?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: ($33) Flopping a lowflush

You are out of position, the pot is decent, and your hand is very counterfeitable. If you were deeper stacked I think re-raising here to like 200-250 is good but I dunno how I feel about doing that in an 800 chip tournament.

I'd save myself a lot of trouble on the turn and just push the flop. They will tell themselves, "nobody could play a made flush like that" and call or they will have a higher flush and call.

Of course you do have a 2 out redraw.

FWIW I'd bet the pot on the flop though so if you get re-raised you can 3-bet all in without it being so awkward.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 PM

3 lines I like here.

1. Just save yourself trouble and push allin, this will most likely take down a decent size pot, as no one will call your push. This is good if you think they are donkeys and will call with something such as a lone club or top pair.

2. Pot bet it, this will show that your not afraid and that you have a strong hand. This will also possibly win you a bigger pot if you are called. You will be able to call a push if someone re-raises. Most likely will have to push any non-club turn if anyone calls.

3. Slow play it, just call the re-raise, and check-raise all-in on any non club turn. This will get more money in the pot again, and you will be able to make sure that the turn is not a club.

I would prolly just push the flop, because most of the donks will call. I also like line 3, as its early and allows you to get away from a scary turn card.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:22 PM

I would bet about 60 on the flop, 30 is a bit on the small side and allows the single clubs to call too cheaply.

After being raised to 75, I would reraise to anywhere from 300 to allin. Some might call and then play strong on a non club turn, but I have no fear of making a large bet and getting played with by a lone club. I think waiting till the turn is a bit too wimpy. To be scared of someone putting all theri chips in with a 25% chance to win, is pretty weak, especially as 2 of those clubs make you the nuts.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm terrified of anyone else with a club. But offsetting that is my straightflush draw. So how do I bet this flop after a better, a raiser, and a cold caller?

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, your straight flush draw doesn't offset anything. That's like saying, "Well, I have a pocket pair, but my two set outs offset anybody else having a higher pair." This shouldn't factor into your calculations all that much.

I'd be all in here. You are most likely against a couple of draws, and if they are big enough donks they might even call you.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 PM

It does mean something because it gives lone clubs less outs, either 1 or 2 less.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:54 PM

Does his opponents having two fewer outs change anything here?

If you flopped a straight on a monotone board, and the action was exactly the same as in this hand, would you play it the same or differently curtains?