Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: autoshufflers

I always see those cheaper autoshufflers on eBay and places like Walgreens. As helpful as it would be to my home games I never purchased one. By the way everyone talks about wanting a mid-range price one, I'm guessing there is something seriously flawed with the cheap ones. Break easily? Not randomize cards enough? Thanks for answers.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:32 PM

I haven't tries all of those available, but I did get 3 for Chrismas last year. There is definitely a quality difference between brands.

People mostly complain that they are loud and too big. My biggest peave about them is they don't shuffle continuously.

Even if they work exactly right, you need to split the cards and reload the machine each time, sort of negating the whole purpose. I can see those with disabilities (with manual dexterity) having a use for them, but it is much faster to shuffle by hand than to have those machines shuffle.

They also have a tendency to munch cards (depending of the quality of the machine) and they really don't randomize the cards too well either.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

----chop----
My plan is, once I have a completed prototype product and patents, I will make a small number available here either for free or a minimal price for testing and feedback. If you want me to put you on my list of interested people, PM me with your email address. Don't expect anything soon though. I will likely select people based on how many posts they have made here and/or product development/testing/marketing experience so feel free to mention any qualifications.
----chop-----

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a great idea. Those little mechanical shufflers suck, my kids won't even play with it.

I've run marketing/sales for several public and private tech companies (and started my own consumer tech company). If you're looking for help, let me know. (I'm also an electrical engineer with lots of programming/microcontroller experience.)
Old 05-31-2005, 09:18 PM

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but you should probably read up on Shuffle Master's patents before getting too deep. They seem to be pretty active in getting patent protection and if you end up repeating something they have covered, you could be in for some headaches.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the tip. Believe me, I have looked at the patents which Shufflemaster holds (and there are a lot). One of my biggest obstacles is working around these patents. The last thing I want is to create a product only to find out someone has been there before. I am just concerned that I missed one.

Shufflemasters patents are mostly relating to using microprocessors to control card shuffling and the card ejector technology, neither of which I am really even close to infringing.

My product is (so far) totally mechanical, no motors, servos, or processors. I suspect eventually it will have a motor, but it will remain a mostly mechanical product.

I have searched thru the USPTO looking through existing patents relating to card shuffling. If there is any 2+2ers out there familiar with doing thorough patent searches, please feel free to fire off a PM or reply with any suggestions.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:26 PM

you could go ask Fossilman (Greg Raymer), a frequent poster on 2+2 and former patent attorney.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could go ask Fossilman (Greg Raymer), a frequent poster on 2+2 and former patent attorney.

[/ QUOTE ]Right. Now that he's a millionare NOT doing patent work, now's a good time to send him a message. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you're serious about this, you're gonna have to get a lawyer at some point. I still have huge reservations about the qualityrice ratio. Have you tried building this, or is it still on the drawing board?
-Sam
Old 06-02-2005, 01:29 AM

As of right now, there is no drawing board. I am developing as I build it. Once I have my "rough draft", I will draw it out and build it again with machined pieces.

I know how it is going to work and have done preliminary tests on effectiveness of the method. The method works well in randomizing a deck of cards. This is very promising as that is a HUGE criteria for me. I am about half way through building the device which will carry out the method. I am a bit stuck at the moment but all of your attention is very encouraging and I am plodding forth.

Thanks to you all.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 PM

FossilMan is a patent attorney, but his specialty is in drugs (or something along those lines). Actually the person who would likely be the best help here would be David Sklansky. He has many patents relating to card games and products.