Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Stu Ungar movie

I looked for a thread on this but my searches didn't reveal one.

I watched the DVD today, and have mixed feelings about it. I was wondering what everyone else thought.

My gripes are the inaccuracies throughout, which were especially annoying after reading the book. Maybe my mistake was reading it just before I watched the movie. I especially disliked how they made a big deal about his glasses. It’s my understanding he used them only in the 1996 WSOP to cover up his nose, which was deformed due to constant cocaine use. They didn’t have to show him wearing them while eating dinner.

I can understand why they’d have to change things in order to pace the movie, but in this case the changes didn’t do much to the plot. I also felt they portrayed him as a magical character who couldn’t lose, but then showed him losing constantly without any explanation. There was little mention of his sports and race betting habits, his inability to manage his bankroll, etc.

They really overdid his enemies in Vegas, I think, while downplaying the fact that everyone he was close to loved him despite his flaws. His character didn’t have any redeeming qualities, yet we were supposed to feel sorry for him.

If they were going to take liberties with the movie, they should have been good liberties. These were just liberties for the sake of liberties, kind of like how Stanley Kubrick changed the room number in The Shining.

Also, the whole “interview” setup fell flat, IMO.

I enjoyed the movie to some degree, because I like Michael Imperioli and because I’m a sucker for poker movies. But I don’t think I’ll be recommending this to anyone curious about Stu Unger. The book is better on every level.

Anyone disagree?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar movie

As is usually the case with things, the book is much better than the movie. I also like M.I. as an actor, but the movie was just ok at best to me. The 'interview' thing was pretty goofy. For the kind of insanely crazy life Stu Ungar led, the movie could of been much better.

If anyone is really interested in Stu Ungar don't even bother to rent or buy the movie, just stick with the book.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:47 PM

I was very interested in seeing this from what I had heard about Ungar's life but the movie was really disappointing. Terrible acting and cheesy dialogue really ruined it for me. It was also a really depressing story and it was lacking in poker content. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 PM

ill chime in with my agreement that the movie was pretty ass. i read the book a week ago and watched the movie 2 days ago.

i understand the director/screenwriter wanted to get a little "arty" with the movie, but it failed miserably on that level and their efforts would have been more telling of stuey's life in a documentary form (i.e. interviews with his friends, family, associates, etc etc.). i guess that this can still be done (a documentary) and id definitely be interested in seeing it.

and, as others have stated, the "interview" session with Death was a horrible miss at giving the movie some form of plot.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:05 PM

Sounds like a lot of people liked the book on his life better than the movie. I guess I should check that out. What's the name of the book and does it have more in the way of poker content than the movie does? Perhaps a more detailed account of his WSOP victories?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a lot of people liked the book on his life better than the movie. I guess I should check that out. What's the name of the book and does it have more in the way of poker content than the movie does? Perhaps a more detailed account of his WSOP victories?

[/ QUOTE ]

its called One of a Kind - its a very well written biography of his life. there's a bit about his WSOP wins, but there is a TON more value in the book than those wins. if you just want a rundown of those wins, however, you can probably find better details other places.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM

One of the producers of "The Aviator" bought the rights, to "One Of A Kind." So their is going to be a second movie based off, of the life, of Stu Unger. Hopefully it's better then the first one. Since the rights were purchased by the producer of the "Aviator," I wonder if we can get lucky, and have Martin Scorsese direct it. The story is right up his alley.