Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 09:30 AM

Default It is hard to be consistent.

The WSOP circuit events are in town so I am playing as much as I can in the cash games.

Friday Night seven hours of $6-12 played like a complete moron.

Saturday seven and one half hours of $6-12 played good poker but ran bad.

Last night four hours of $10-20, played good & ran good. won it all back except $36.

Friday there were three super LAGS at the table capping with junk and invariably, that puts me off my game. After an hour or so, I always end up making a loose call and bleeding chips. I don't know why I try to gamble with those idiots. I know it makes my standard deviation go through the roof and I know this is a situation that I don't handle well but I continue to get involved.

Does anyone else ever get sucked into playing stupid against maniacs?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: It is hard to be consistent.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to call it shifting gears. Of course, my results are similar to yours [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 05:27 PM

I declined a juicy game the other day. I had ~ two hours to donate to it and I knew what the outcome would be(B & M).

1. Can't wait for good cards, I can play these. Whoops XX BB down the drain.

2. Post flop some hands later: Okay, about time, I can count the chips here, no one can touch this hand. How can I maximize it? Sh!t, what was that loser doing in the hand with those cards! Why didn't I see that coming, look at that runner runner on the board, what else could he be in there with??? Here I am betting and raising away, and he's calling everything. Doesn't he know the value of $$!

3. How in the world did I drop 20 BB an hour in two hours! JHC, what in the world was I thinking!

I used to overplay (for lack of a better descritpion) when big things were happening in town because I wanted my slice of the pie before the the fish left town. Now I play a little more carefully knowing I can get my share off the other local players after the frenzy is over.

Perhaps this is what happens to you too? It's hard not to get sucked in.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The WSOP circuit events are in town so I am playing as much as I can in the cash games.

Friday Night seven hours of $6-12 played like a complete moron.

Saturday seven and one half hours of $6-12 played good poker but ran bad.

Last night four hours of $10-20, played good & ran good. won it all back except $36.

Friday there were three super LAGS at the table capping with junk and invariably, that puts me off my game. After an hour or so, I always end up making a loose call and bleeding chips. I don't know why I try to gamble with those idiots. I know it makes my standard deviation go through the roof and I know this is a situation that I don't handle well but I continue to get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a natural LAG anyhow, your discipline issues are always going to be "staying tight" even when the game calls for SSHE loose table standards.

Just remember where the money comes from, and don't mimick those that contribute money to the game.

It gets a little easier all the time, you have made much progress. Kudos.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:30 PM

Playing against mainiacs especially short handed and especially no limit is the most profitable situation in poker. Dont give up.