Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Public perception of fat people

What's yours? I'm fat, about 6 feet tall and weigh about 330. I always want to know what people think of fat people, so I thought I would ask.

Also, any ideas on how to lose some weight? I don't eat much, less than 2500 calories per day, but I keep gaining weight. I don't do much other than work and play cards. I know I need to exercise but have no motivation and see no results. Not to mention I feel out of place at the gym if I do go. I spend the whole time worrying about what people think and all I want to do is leave. I'm such a puss.

Anyway, what do you think of fat people?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Public perception of fat people

[ QUOTE ]
6 feet tall and weigh about 330.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to exercise but have no motivation

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] What about your health? It may suck to exercise, etc, but dying sucks worse probably.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 AM

Most fat people have no excuse, just go exercise.

I think it's disgusting how many overweight people there are.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:19 AM

In my youth I was judgemental. Now I don't think much at all besides not ever wanting to be overweight myself.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:20 AM

you could have a medical problem that makes you fat.

didnt you notice that you kept getting bigger and bigger?
start eating healthy and start off by walking. Aim to lose 2-3 pounds/week.

www.bodybuilding.com

i dont really think anything bad about fat people. i pity them more then anything.

[ QUOTE ]
What's yours? I'm fat, about 6 feet tall and weigh about 330. I always want to know what people think of fat people, so I thought I would ask.

Also, any ideas on how to lose some weight? I don't eat much, less than 2500 calories per day, but I keep gaining weight. I don't do much other than work and play cards. I know I need to exercise but have no motivation and see no results. Not to mention I feel out of place at the gym if I do go. I spend the whole time worrying about what people think and all I want to do is leave. I'm such a puss.

Anyway, what do you think of fat people?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 feet tall and weigh about 330.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to exercise but have no motivation

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] What about your health? It may suck to exercise, etc, but dying sucks worse probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, dying would suck. I need to get off my fat ass do something. Guess I should start with walking or something easy like that.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to exercise but have no motivation and see no results. Not to mention I feel out of place at the gym if I do go. I spend the whole time worrying about what people think and all I want to do is leave. I'm such a puss.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Without motivation, you will never stop being fat
2) You don't need to go to a gym. Do pushups and situps at the house. Take walks. Do stuff. Eat healthier.

I perceive fat people as people who either A) are too unmotivated at life and keeping their health okay in general, thus irresponsible, or B) people who say to hell with the stigma of skinny people and enjoy life for what it is, fat or not.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:25 AM

As thatpunk points out, there's always dying as an alternative to exercise.

Personally, I think what probably means more to people is physical impairment. Dying is too hard to grasp and believe, or for some people to care about. But nobody wants to be a vegetable with a stroke, or get diabetes and lose a leg, or something.

Especially once you get a few years on you, exercise is a must not to make yourself a superman, but just to keep from turning to crap. It's harder to keep muscle on, which helps make you fatter all by itself, and your body doesn't digest and eliminate food as quickly, so you keep more of the fat you take in. Basically, it starts to get easier and easier to look like hell and harder and harder not to.

So it's pretty normal to eventually start putting on weight even if you don't eat too much.

You pretty much know what you have to do. Don't get pouty about it, or expect immediate results. Just take better care of yourself and the results pile up eventually. Don't throw a tantrum or be a quitter/p_ussy if you don't get results overnight. Just do a little here and there, even if it's only stretching -- just enough to make it a life habit, and eventually you'll get good results.

The nice thing is, it spills over into your head, too. You almost always feel sharper and happier when you're in better shape.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:27 AM

I don't see the two as contradictory or mutually exclusive.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:41 AM

The difference is that one group gives up on the thought of becoming thin while the other group never wanted to be thin in the first place.