Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 06:39 PM

Default dream table the other night

whomever thinks the stars 5-10 game is tough is out of their mind. I was at a table the other night where a player to my right's numbers were (98/10/2). When he raised, it was always a limit raise (min raise preflop). A player to my left was a (63/10/1.5) w/ the same type of preflop and postflop raising. Both of them were capable of putting in a ton of money with bad hands / bluffs.

So I generally limped in w/ any two reasonable cards waiting for very strong hands. After about 3 hours of this, I was up a little, the "bad" players were both up a decent amount, and a lot of other players at the table lost money.

Is this a good strategy for this type of situation? I was bleeding off a lot of chips and could never seem to get a great hand. I got one great hand the whole session - of course it was when both live ones folded preflop to my KK limp [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: dream table the other night

you cant win em all, i would play it the same way, wait for a nice hand and then make them pay.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 AM

Why is it that these bad players always seem to run up so much, right before they lose it all in one big hand?

The more I watch games where you have 1-2 of these guys, and the rest are "average" players, it seems to me that people give up way too much waiting for a real hand.
In my experience with these wild games its usually a mistake to wait for a premium hand.

You obviously have a tremendous edge over these guys, but if you and every other player is sitting there waiting for a premium hand you are more or less just as likely as anyone else to get their money. On top of that these guys come for action. When you sit there folding 2 straight orbits they get bored and go play somewhere else. They are there for big bets and big swings. If you have a strong bankroll you need to get in pots with them if none of the other players will get in your way.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:33 AM

I would play more hands against players like that, yes, but limping KK seems pretty bad. Why not get the money in when you have the goods against these donks?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would play more hands against players like that, yes, but limping KK seems pretty bad. Why not get the money in when you have the goods against these donks?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was just an UTG play and I wasn't raising much preflop - so yeah it was a mistake probably but I was waiting more for postflop edge than preflop where these guys were making huge mistakes instead of smaller ones.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously have a tremendous edge over these guys, but if you and every other player is sitting there waiting for a premium hand you are more or less just as likely as anyone else to get their money. On top of that these guys come for action. When you sit there folding 2 straight orbits they get bored and go play somewhere else. They are there for big bets and big swings. If you have a strong bankroll you need to get in pots with them if none of the other players will get in your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I was playing every pot I could with any two reasonable cards. I won a $900 pot w/ A8 top pair against one of the guys - so pushing marginal situations was great. Of course, when one of them flops a straight vs. your two pair, it can get expensive.