Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Catholic v. Christian

Fair enough, but since the OT is about pre-Christ prophesy, how does that impact whether or not they are *Christian*?

I ask this because my impression has always been that most non-Catholic Christians, aside from the "accept Jesus as your personal savior" aspect, put more emphasis on Paul's teachings than on those of Jesus.

edit: And, since Protestantism begins more than 1,000 years after Nicea, then those interpretations removed books from the Bible, as opposed to the RC Church adding anything.

Seems pretty suspect for the revisionists to claim the mantle of "true" Christianity.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty suspect for the revisionists to claim the mantle of "true" Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice point I have made before. Of course they claim the "institutional catholic church" only came about as a result of Nicea around 325 A.D., and that their beliefs and worship practices more closely imitate those of the early primitive christian church. Which is bunk as shown by the writings of christians in 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D. which in no way resemble protestant doctrine or practices, aside from the fact that there are earlier instances of papal authority as well.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course they claim the "institutional catholic church" only came about as a result of Nicea around 325 A.D., and that their beliefs and worship practices more closely imitate those of the early primitive christian church. Which is bunk as shown by the writings of christians in 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D. which in no way resemble protestant doctrine or practices, aside from the fact that there are earlier instances of papal authority as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the 2nd & 3rd Centuries are 2 to 3 hundred years after Christ. There were Christians before that, right? The first would have been the Apostles. Pentecostals follow the book of Acts religiously, and think that a complete Christianity would include being "filled with the Spirit", speaking in tongues, and such, resembling what happened to the Apostles at Pentecost.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 PM

2nd century = 100s and 3rd =200s. And what is important is the amount of time between the death of the last apostle and a certain writing which narrows the gap 60+ years.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd century = 100s and 3rd =200s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... and 100s is 100-200 years after Christ, and 200s is 200-300 years after Christ. Year 299 = 3rd Century = 299 years after Christ = 200-300 years after Christ.

(I should have said 100-300 years after Christ in my first response.)

[ QUOTE ]
And what is important is the amount of time between the death of the last apostle and a certain writing which narrows the gap 60+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that the book of Acts which "documents" beliefs and practices of the first Christians (Apostles), is used by many Pentecostal denominations as a "guidebook" on "true" Christianity. I'm not sure how your response addresses this -- not that it matters, anyway.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:54 PM

Doesn't matter what the difference is, it is all made up.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes... and 100s is 100-200 years after Christ, and 200s is 200-300 years after Christ. Year 299 = 3rd Century = 299 years after Christ = 200-300 years after Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe the scholarly opinion is that Jesus was born around 5 BC and died around 33 AD, so the gap between the 2nd century and Jesus's death would be around 60-70 years.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe the scholarly opinion is that Jesus was born around 5 BC and died around 33 AD, so the gap between the start of the 2nd century and Jesus's death would be around 60-70 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, even though it's not relevant to any point I'm making.