Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: A dubious flop reraise

Ugh. I hate those spots. I think you have to either fold or three bet, which, you did, and i'd bet the turn UI and fold to a raise, and check/fold this river.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 PM

Hi esspo,

Yes, you are exactly correct to my plans for this hand, as are Eric and TxRedman. Being that the players at this table took turns stealing blinds in LP, I thought it was time for me to move someone better off this hand. I mean ATTEMPT to move him off.

My plan was to 3-bet the flop and bet the turn. Should the Rock had called both bets, I would check/fold the river unimproved.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:18 PM

Default RESULTS TO NO ONE\'S SURPRISE

This is just another unusual play that I've made and need reassurance that I played it incorrectly, or on occasion correctly. The Button showing his folded ace preflop really got me overthinking this hand, as if the Rock would make such a move on me. If I viewed this from the outside, I would have still put the Rock on AQ or AJs, and told the OP to check-fold. Here's the rest of the hand:

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, the Rock raises. BB folds, I 3-bet... Rock calls only. Headsup.

TURN: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he calls.

RIVER: offsuit rag

I bet, he calls.

I say to him, "Sorry, I got lucky" and showed my turned set. He flashes A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and folds in disgust. Then he did something very unusual. This Rock character seldom speaks at the table other than to order food from the server. He then says in a low voice, "What? You thought I had [censored] and was bullsh!tting you with a raise? Just because I only cold-called preflop?" He then mumbled something else under his breath that I selectively chose not to hear. I raised a couple more times pf without callers and was quickly called to another game.

I did learn one very important thing. The Rock does NOT bluff. Thank you all for the responses and confirming my obvious suspicions.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:19 AM

i would have said "please don't fold face up while there is still action."
Old 11-08-2005, 01:19 PM

It may be where I play, but I think you did the right thing here on the flop play. Rocks are Rocks, but they are not stupid (generally), and you need to know where you are at in the hand. You also need to rock his world, no pun intended.

You can't know if he really has a bigger pair, an Ace (which I would not give him credit for), or a MLK hand he hopes will flop well.

He also may think he can make you fold, and you have to decide what he holds. You put the pressure back on him to decide where his hand is at as he has to consider you may hold JJ.

Putting an extra small bet up front at times saves a big bet at the end.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:57 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
It may be where I play, but I think you did the right thing here on the flop play. Rocks are Rocks, but they are not stupid (generally), and you need to know where you are at in the hand. You also need to rock his world, no pun intended.

You can't know if he really has a bigger pair, an Ace (which I would not give him credit for), or a MLK hand he hopes will flop well.

He also may think he can make you fold, and you have to decide what he holds. You put the pressure back on him to decide where his hand is at as he has to consider you may hold JJ.

Putting an extra small bet up front at times saves a big bet at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize rocks don't really play the way you're describing, right? They're not tricky. They're not known for pulling moves. You know where you are in this hand when he raises you on the flop.

b
Old 11-09-2005, 01:59 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
However if he is a good player who knows your raising standards, and also knows wether you can lay down a hand, as this changes everything.

This hand is completey read dependant.

Read him and do what you thinkis best

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also a bit easier to read since the pot is 3 way and not HU when he raises.

b
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: RESULTS TO NO ONE\'S SURPRISE

"I say to him, 'Sorry, I got lucky'."

That's a worse play than the flop play. And you know it.

Regards,
Andy