Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Standard overcard play?

UTG is a little LAG; Button is a calling station.

I was folding the river to a raise.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>
Old 07-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Standard overcard play?

Against 4 players, I don't hate playing the hand passively like this, though in the heat of battle I probably would have bet the flop.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was folding the river to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first this bothered me because QK or Q9 could conceivably make a play at you, but I changed my mind. I bet the flop though becuase laggy UTG could raise with some trash draw and knock out a pocket pair or 7 on the button.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:06 PM

Betting this very dangerous flop is a failure to adjust to changing circumstances. Your hand is probably not good, your fold equity is minimal, and the last thing you need is to get yourself raised holding a mediocre draw. The guy with the jack needs to protect his hand. You are the one he needs protection from.