Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 PM

Default When is good time to leave the table?

In the book "Poker Wisdom of a Champion" Brunson says, "Quite when you feel like quitting, that's my advice."
Does anyone have a system for when to leave the table? for example maybe leaving the table after you have doubled up? and what advantages do you have in that system. Thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: When is good time to leave the table?

Leave when the game sucks, end thread.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:59 AM

I leave tables when I feel that my image has been destroyed. If I have raised pre-flop and then folded to a check-raise on the turn and start have people bluff check-raising me...

I also rarely re-buy at a table. I'll rebuy at a brand-new table. It lifts my spirits (I tend towards weak-tight when I've been losing) and gives me a clean slate.

Paperboy
Old 09-03-2005, 01:10 AM

I usually leave a table when I'm quitting or when the table has broken up.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:14 AM

I leave when one or more of the following conditions applies:

-The table sucks (all the fish have left & been replaced by 4-tabling TAGs).
-My image sucks (whiffed and/or been drawn out on too many times).
This completes the repeating what's already been said portion of this post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-I am tilting or otherwise playing well below my best. If the table is great & I'm a little bit off my game I'll stick it out, but if it's not great or I'm way off, I'm gone.
-I've met my hands goal for the day & the table is not so good that it beckons me to stay.
-It's been 30 minutes and I still haven't figured out who the sucker is. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
-I'm so tired I can't see straight (this has happened many times on great tables).
-My mind is wandering and I just need a break. ("Quit when you feel like quitting"--Doyle obviously knows what he's talking about)

In a nutshell, you have to weigh all those considerations (and any others I've left out) and come to a determination on whether or not it's +EV for you to stay at the table. Any time it isn't, for whatever the reason, leave.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually leave a table when I'm quitting or when the table has broken up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pathos. So much Pathos.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 AM

Branching off a point made by Harv, you must learn to check in with yourself sometimes and not continue on "automatic mode" when you are not playing your best and/or the players at the table are playing back at you in an aggressive manor.

A great table can turn me into an even worse player when I start limping UTG with suited connectors, suited aces and PP's when the table doesn't call for it. Primarily because I want to make up for my past losses. An unfortunate downward spiral.

Also, if you start seeing double, it's time to go.
My point is that you must check in with yourself and see how you are feeling, and if you are playing simply to "make up" for tough hands and a loosing session, its time to stop.

I guess that doesn't really answer the question of when do you leave a specific table, so good luck with that :-)