Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How big a chicken is Daliman?
HUGE CHICKEN 48 57.83%
MINI CHICKEN 35 42.17%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Racial Profiling Poll

[ QUOTE ]
Extra attention is there for a reason. Racial profiling doesn't mean giving a pass to white guys or any other non-Arabic/Islamic race, or at the very least, I hope it doesn't...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. I just wanted to make reiterate the fact that non citizens are not the only problem. That's all
Old 07-15-2005, 10:54 PM

Armed personnel on board help, but there's more to it than that. Getting a bomb aboard would be a terrorists' wet dream. Considering how high profile El Al is the fact they haven't been hit again is nothing short of amazing.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:02 AM

There is nothing wrong with racial profiling of Arabs and Muslims. Most terrorists are of Arab descent and are tied to Islam.

Just like there is nothing wrong with focusing only on black suspects if the witnesses have told you that the suspect was black.

Political correctness can put people in danger.

Also, we should crack down on right wing terrorist groups in this country. I am thinking of groups like the anti abortion nuts at Operation Rescue. I would like to see federal racketeering charges brought against those pasty fetus-worshipping f*cks.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:12 AM

There was an AP poll a couple of years ago that showed more black Americans than white Americans supporting racial profiling of Arabs. At least one race in this country doesn't have its' collective heads up its' collective asses.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:13 AM

If efficacy is the goal, it seems to me that racial profiling fails.

If we're speaking solely of screening, profiling both over-scrutinizes and under-scrutinizes, so to speak. It over-scrutinizes the target faction, needlessly burdening a vast majority of the non-criminal members of the profiled group to more stringent screening; similarly, racial profiling (by its nature) under-scrutinizes non-target group actors who could be as dangerous as members of the target group.

The question becomes vastly more complicated in scenarios that involve finite levels of resources; but if the question merely involves screening (passengers of an airplane, for example), I see no reason not to subject everyone to the highest possible level of screening available.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:16 AM

Probably. Nana and the Swedish women's beach volleyball team do not need to be frisked as much as 20-40 year old arabic men.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably. Nana and the Swedish women's beach volleyball team do not need to be frisked as much as 20-40 year old arabic men.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm doing the frisking, then I couldn't disagree more.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:27 AM

Frisk when you're off duty. While on duty, you should be looking for threats; not to cop a feel.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:48 AM

So long as racial profiling doesn't lead to tunnel vision to the exclusion of others and doesn't lead to inappropriate arrests/convictions then it's okay. Having an archetype can be useful, so long as everyone knows that nobody looks just like the archetype.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:07 AM

The 4th amendment says probable cause. There are so many more muslims that are not terrorists it cannot be probable to search based on this. Yeah more terrorists are muslim than not but no amount of profiling can make it be probable that the person you are stopping is a terrorist without some other intelligence gathering.