Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-25-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Remind me quickly

Which comes first, the raise to get more $$ in on the turn(and protect), or raising the flop to protect my hand.

Online 25/50.

MP1 Limps. MP2 Limps. Hijack checks his posted blinds. I check in my posted blind with 93hh. Button calls and the blinds call. 7 to the flop.

Flop is A93 no suits. Checked to MP2 who bets, Hijack calls and action on me.

The pot is getting big, so I raised to protect my hand. My thought after the hand was, what am I protecting it against? Any ace cold calls 2, and then calls when I bet the turn, and if I get checkraised or raised on the turn, I really dont feel great about it. So the only thing a flop raise protects me from is a 9/3 or that may hit his kicker on the turn. I think in this case on a drawless board, I sometimes need to represent more strength than I have to clear the field on the turn.

Am I complicating things? Is this an autoraise on the flop, with no consideration given to the turn? With top pair or on a more connected board I raise immediately for sure.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 11-25-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Remind me quickly

I don't think i'd check the flop, i'd lead. Not only are you then assured to avoid a check through disaster, but you get a better idea of who likes their hand and can develop a flop/turn plan to better protect/maximize based on the turn card.

lf
Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 AM

I'd raise the flop if it were me, and then when the hand was over wish I has raised a non A turn instead.

Tex
Old 11-25-2005, 09:37 AM

I posted in the cutoff. The action was bet--call---to me.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:46 AM

I dont think you EVER want to consider just calling here. Raise.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:57 AM

The thing you should remember is to raise to get more money in the pot with the best hand.

Raise the flop.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:13 AM

Sorry to much Turkey...

I'd definately raise the flop. You're hand wont look like much of anything, since you didn't raise preflop, and you might get AT to give you a little more action then they should. With this many players and no PF raise, I could see this flop bet being more exploratory then anything else, as a big Ace is unlikely, and you may get checked to on the turn even if you just call.

lf
Old 11-25-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing you should remember is to raise to get more money in the pot with the best hand.

Raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. I always think my rag twopair will get counterfeited somehow, so I raise the flop like the lag I'm not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and hope to get action from A-whatever.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think i'd check the flop, i'd lead. Not only are you then assured to avoid a check through disaster, but you get a better idea of who likes their hand and can develop a flop/turn plan to better protect/maximize based on the turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd add lead and 3 bet. As you said, any A is calling down and no one is putting you on 93. Keep pushing until pushed back, then call.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:30 PM

Thanks all. FWIW. I raised the flop and both called. The turn was the 2 of hearts giving me a heart draw, and the river was a 3, for a full house and a good start to the session.

I almost always raise the flop here, and if I was in the big blind, I usually lead/3bet here too. Just wondering if raising the turn was decent too, I guess not. I cant even say what goes through my mind(@#$!!!) when the first guy is betting Q4s into the field on the flop and decides to check the turn, so I dont get a turn raise in.