Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-01-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Building my own PC - Here are the specs, please comment!

Haven't upgraded my PC since May 02, and I am a games lover, so it is time to upgrade! I want to build my own PC instead of ordering from a company like Dell to save money and to feel proud of myself [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BUDGET: $3300 from bad beat jackpot. $2000 or so after taxes, have a couple grand more in savings. Not gonna touch savings.

Spaded's Rig:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego (2.4GHz) 1GHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache Socket 939. Named after where i live, so i had to [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] plus the next level up (+0.2GHz) costs almost double. $368

Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe: Supposed to be good for AMD, and any processor upgrades i might make over next 2 yrs or so. Only problem is a fan i might have to replace cheaply. $164

Case: With 380W power supply. $80

Video Card: GeForce 7800GTX 256MB eVGA. The ONE item that I am splurging on. Can I be talked out of it? $579!!

Sound: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZSGamer. $121-$50 rebate

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB. $111

DVD/CD drive, memory, floppy drive, Dell 1701FP monitor, speakers&woofer: Cannibalizing from old PC, the drive is only a few weeks old. Free?

Total price: $1500 at Newegg. The Dell equivalent is $2300 and the Alienware equivalent is $4800!

I'm going to upgrade my 5+ year old 1701FP someday. It only gets up to 1280x1024 and has no dead pixels. 2001FP for quad tabling might be good, but I play NL 6max, so maybe later.

Is this a good setup? I'm going to order before tuesday, when the $50 mail in rebate for the sound card expires.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Building my own PC - Here are the specs, please comment!

I’d like to see a little bigger power supply ... be ready to add that second video card when the prices come down.

I know quite a few people who have removed their SoundBlaster in favor of the onboard sound on Asus boards. I did. SB tends to be quirky in quite a few games. You might want to think about passing on the sound card and spending the bucks on fast low latency RAM instead.

Just for fun, you might want to price it out on Monarch Computer . Newegg is fine but I personally like Monarch just a bit better. Their custom build service is excellent.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:12 PM

I got a tip from another forum that the MOBO is probably too much, because i'll probably never need SLI. I'm going with a little bit cheaper one.

And on the power supply, I'm going with an Antec 500W

I got a better deal on the vid card, saving about $150 or so

And for processor I've decided to go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor with the money I saved from giving the sound card the axe.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Sounds great. I'll mention one more thing that is much better than stock. http://www.thermalright.com/
Old 10-01-2005, 05:26 PM

System update!

Processor: AMD athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual core
RAM: GeIL SDRAM DDR400 (PC3200) 2x1GB
Power: Antec SmartPower ATX 12V 500W
Video: GeForce 7800GTX 256MB
Mobo: ABIT socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 250GB
Old 10-02-2005, 06:34 AM

If you're already buying a 7800GTX you might as well get this.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:53 AM

The abit+athlon 64 combo is something I would never use. Abit beacuse it is very low quality and athlon beacuse of some nasty driver problems. Go with an intel mobo and cpu instead.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:56 AM

"The abit+athlon 64 combo is something I would never use. Abit beacuse it is very low quality and athlon beacuse of some nasty driver problems. Go with an intel mobo and cpu instead."

I respectfully disagree with both these points.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Sure you can, everyone can have their own opinion. I just seen (and had several myself) abit mobos, none were stable. Some of my closest friends also (we used to love abit) had abit mobos, the did not survive over time, some caps busted, some voltageregulators burned, and had to be replaced. I also have several friends who bought athlon 64 (even though I recomended against it), all of them have trouble of one kind or another, mostly driver related. They [according to one of them] also are very picky about memory if you want a stable system. I for sure will not buy an abit again, and I would never even consider an athlon again.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:56 PM

Thanks everyone, i went with the specs in the "system update" post. Also, 90%+ of the customer reviews i read on newegg were positive on both the abit mobo and the athlon 64 X2. People tend to take the time to comment on their purchases only if they had a bad experience, so seeing all those positives and only a few negatives made me decide to go with it. And most of the people who put up negative reviews had driver problems that were only corrected after reading their instruction manuals and installing the latest drivers and/or flashing the BIOS. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]