Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Giving up small pots - theoretical question

[ QUOTE ]
i cant remember if i wrote this yesterday or not, but i am really happy you got some credit for your great posts by being made a mod

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I really appreciate you and Surfbullet saying this.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say nothing or better yet compliment him on his bluff*.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the first option is best (though it is tough to implement in practise [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]). Let him think his bluff crushed you so bad that you are now speechless [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Bigger chance he will continue to "dominate" you than if you acknowledge his play IMO.

If he is a predictable LAG anything that has a chance to make him change his play is bad as your read will then be inaccurate. Maybe he will start becoming a valuebetting machine against you, in which case he will have the edge if you still have him down as a LAG.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 AM

If you mean complimenting is cursing I agree. He doesnt want to hear something like nh or nice play. This guy wants to know you are angry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 10:50 AM

These psychos are going to win the small pots. Why, because they never fold and you do sometimes. That means that if you offer resistance, the pot will grow beyond its current small stature. But they pay an immense price in the long run when the pot grows because you have something or at least good potential and he has a nearly random hand. I assure you of two things:

1) He WILL win the most pots in the long run

2) You WILL win the most money in the long run

Cartman
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a pair in this situation you should checkraise the flop. No reason to ever bet when he will always do it for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part of your approach I've been struggling with recently. A true LAG will keep betting if you just call, won't he? So I've been essentially c/c with any pair on the flop, at least if the pair is 10s or better, perhaps planning to go for a river donk or raise.

Sometimes this bites me in the ass because I'm giving the villain a lot of chances to improve. But doesn't the totally passive call-down approach discourage the LAG as much as a flop c/r?

Oh, one more thing Stellar: I must express my appreciation that you are posting more recently, at both SHUSH and MHUSH. It is a real pleasure and I hope you keep it up.