Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-29-2005, 03:04 PM

Default What I Love Most About Poker

I was thinking today about the intense satisfaction I get from punishing fools at the poker table for their impatience/ignorance/stupidity/lack of emotional control.

Poker is such a joy to play. In real life, lazy ignorant people get paid to sit on their asses while others do their work for them. In today's America, the whiners, complainers and professional victims are coddled. In poker, there is no boss to report to, no office politics, no nepotism, no affirmative action.

Each person at the table is rewarded (in the long term) for his/her skill and knowledge. It's the purest form of capitalism I can think of. You live or die on your own merits and your bankroll doesn't much give a damn about your excuses.

Yep, that's why I love it. Because the very people who piss me off in every day life with their attitude of entitlement are usually the ones who are paying me off. What a great stress buster!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: What I Love Most About Poker

Very nice post, wish I had written it. Parapgraph three describes the exact reason why I even got started playing poker. And paragraph two why I love it now!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Hi Hobbes,

I'm glad you enjoy the game so much, I do also. Although the reasons that I love the game is much different than yours. I love the game because it challenges my mind and when I beat that challenge, not only do I get rewarded mentally for a job well done, I get rewarded monetarily. The adrenalin of the game and the ups & downs make it fun for me, and makes me wanting more, win or lose.
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking today about the intense satisfaction I get from punishing fools at the poker table for their impatience/ignorance/stupidity/lack of emotional control.

[/ QUOTE ]Interesting opening paragraph and thoughts. Why must they be fools if you outplay them at the table? Can't they just be some regular folk who likes to gamble and have a good time? I've met dozens, if not hundreds, of people who are much more adept at other things in life, but they simply chose not to take a game as seriously as I do. Just met some real estate tycoon who tried to play well but busted out anyway. I would have loved to pick his brain some more, but he would certainly charge me more per hour than I did to him at the table.

Your post sounds more like venting, perhaps from some other frustrations in life. And you THINK you're successfully making up for that at the tables. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should continue loving and beating the game, but show some respect for your opponents. Trust me, they're not as dumb as you think.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:34 PM

probably pocket aces, pocket kings a close 2nd.

Seriously though, I love hitting flush draws in big pots. My absolute favourite thing to do. Ohhhhhh yeaaaaa.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:06 PM

Where does he say the fish are fools in life? I think he was being pretty specific about it being at the poker tables.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Poker is such a joy to play. In real life, lazy ignorant people get paid to sit on their asses while others do their work for them. In today's America, the whiners, complainers and professional victims are coddled. In poker, there is no boss to report to, no office politics, no nepotism, no affirmative action.

Each person at the table is rewarded (in the long term) for his/her skill and knowledge. It's the purest form of capitalism I can think of. You live or die on your own merits and your bankroll doesn't much give a damn about your excuses.

Yep, that's why I love it. Because the very people who piss me off in every day life with their attitude of entitlement are usually the ones who are paying me off. What a great stress buster!

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a few more months, you will as miserable as the other half of us.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:20 PM

In the long run, of course...

Anyway, well put and I definitely agree.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you think Phil Ivey got into the big game???

jk [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 06:12 PM

It's amazing someone could be so right and so wrong at the same time.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:40 PM

#1. Rolled up aces over kings.

#2. Check raising stupid tourists,and taking huge pots off 'em.

#3. Stacks and towers of Checks I can't see over

#4. Playing all night High-Limit Hold'Em at the Taj, where the sand turns to gold.

Well maybe not the high limit part, but everything else.