Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Typical buy in for B&M 15/30 game?

Hey all, I started last week with 300 bucks and managed to work it up to 1100 in low limit hold em and wanted to try taking a shot at the 15/30 game. 1000 enough to take a shot? Or should I grind out til I have about 2000 before taking a shot?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Typical buy in for B&M 15/30 game?

Just send me the money now, its faster and less aggravating.

I accept Paypal
Old 08-19-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I started last week with 300 bucks and managed to work it up to 1100 in low limit hold em and wanted to try taking a shot at the 15/30 game. 1000 enough to take a shot? Or should I grind out til I have about 2000 before taking a shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do it. You could play PERFECTLY and lose 25 bets in 2 hours, which would basically bust you. I wouldn't do it until you had at least 6K.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 AM

The typical buy-in will be 25-50 Big bets. ($750-$1500)

But your risk of ruin is very big. As a rule of thumb you need 300 big bets in your bankroll as a winning player to minimize risk of ruin. This have been discussed very much lately on this board.

When I started 15-30 I had 1.000. I was only taking a shot but I was lucky enough to stay there.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do it. You could play PERFECTLY and lose 25 bets in 2 hours, which would basically bust you. I wouldn't do it until you had at least 6K.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF we Assume you are theoretically beating the table you sit at by a very healthy amount, start with 1100 would carry something like a 50% Risk of Ruin, by back-of-the-envelope calculations. That is something of a best-reasonable-case scenario, and assume you never withdraw money from that game.
Also that uses the formula in statking and GTOT, which is known to underestimate RoR, i don't know whether it gets more or less accurate for very small bankrolls. The number looks small to me.

If you're ok with the very real possibility of dropping money that you probably worked pretty hard to earn for a shot at the "big time", don't worry about all of us talking about high risk of ruin... how much risk you take is a personal decision.

2nd
Old 08-21-2005, 05:10 AM

Well, I finally took my shot at the 15/30 game and found it to be filled with tons of loose and terrible players! I did not expect so many players who merely called preflop that for a while I actually thought it was a 3/6 table! And this fact was confirmed when I took numerous river beats where a guy would call all the way with junk like q5 and hit two pair.

Anyway though, after about 2 hours of play I came out about 400 bucks ahead after buying in for 500 which is one rack for that size game.

But, I quit this game mainly because I had started to really notice how much the money was affecting my play as I didn't play as aggressively as I usually would in say a 6/12 game and since the pots would get so large at points, I would worry so much about losing X amount of dollars that my focus would not be on playing my best, but rather on winning the pot and because of this, my usual reading skills were drastically impaired as I spent more time thinking "OH MY GOD, thats a 400 dollar pot" instead of "hmm, he reraised me in position with 2 flush cards on the flop, what could he have here?"

But, anyways, my shot at a bigger game didn't have a bad result, but I do feel that I need a much bigger bank roll than I currently have to be able to play my usual game in that limit.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I finally took my shot at the 15/30 game and found it to be filled with tons of loose and terrible players! I did not expect so many players who merely called preflop that for a while I actually thought it was a 3/6 table! And this fact was confirmed when I took numerous river beats where a guy would call all the way with junk like q5 and hit two pair.

Anyway though, after about 2 hours of play I came out about 400 bucks ahead after buying in for 500 which is one rack for that size game.

But, I quit this game mainly because I had started to really notice how much the money was affecting my play as I didn't play as aggressively as I usually would in say a 6/12 game and since the pots would get so large at points, I would worry so much about losing X amount of dollars that my focus would not be on playing my best, but rather on winning the pot and because of this, my usual reading skills were drastically impaired as I spent more time thinking "OH MY GOD, thats a 400 dollar pot" instead of "hmm, he reraised me in position with 2 flush cards on the flop, what could he have here?"

But, anyways, my shot at a bigger game didn't have a bad result, but I do feel that I need a much bigger bank roll than I currently have to be able to play my usual game in that limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

good to hear you did so well.

most poeple end up taking that big shot and going bust. you ahve avoided that.

i think you should know that you are using the terms buy in and bankroll pretty closely, at least thats how im hearing (reading) it.

a buy in is the amount you bring to a table or put on an internet table to play. it is usually 25bbs or thereabouts live or 50bbs on the internet.

you're bankroll is the total amount you have liquid and ready to play in a poker game. it is usually between 300 and 1000bbs. most of us err on the side of caution and have 1000bbs as a bankroll at the very least for games we play day in and day out.

so use this information and be your own judge.

"may the flop be with you"

-Barron