Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 04:14 PM

Default QQ OOP vs loose-ish table (attn: -Skeme-)

Another hand to add fuel to the debate of whether to reraise preflop or not. Butchered this one pretty badly I'm sure.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) converter

UTG ($38.05)
MP ($116.90)
CO ($214.10)
Button ($657.75)
Hero ($238)
BB ($115.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $12</font>, Hero calls $11, BB calls $10, MP calls $8, CO calls $8.

Flop: ($60) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10, BB calls $10, MP folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, BB calls $30, Button calls $30.

River: ($180) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $63.5 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $127</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $370.50

My thoughts:
The PT table averages were 65 VPIP 11 PFR.

Preflop -
I wanted to reraise preflop to isolate, but what I would not want to happen is have multiple callers and an ugly ass flop. I don't know why I didn't think there would be multiple callers in this situation, creating the potential for even worse mistakes.

If I made it ~39 to go pre, the button would definitely call (the loosest of the bunch, not very agg though), and it might be trouble on a few flops (he had no problem calling large bets to chase or if he thought he had the best hand). I put the button's range on AQ-AK os/s, 99-AA.

Flop:
Obviously a great flop, but I wasn't sure how far button would take a non-nut hand. If I bet and get raised, do I push here and hope for the best? When he bet that small amount for some reason I feared a monster (AK). With a draw to the nuts, I decided to call, also because the other players would likely stay in with an ace, king, or 9 to even a pot-size reraise. My passivity preflop and on the flop cost me the hand but I thought I didn't want to fold the winner with the impartial information I had. (any scare card might get a fold out of me on this table)

Turn:
Bet to price myself into the nuts, pretty sure I was beat after two calls.

River:
Not over-calling anything

On these table conditions is it better to just bet the [censored] out of it preflop, OOP?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: QQ OOP vs loose-ish table (attn: -Skeme-)

on a table this loose, reraising here is fine. since the first raise was a min-raise, it doesn't count IMO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

on a normal table with good players, reraising in this situation would be dumb. even with your loose table, calling is fine, but i'd almost always lead the flop regardless of what falls.

lead the flop for $50.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:44 PM

yuck
Old 06-27-2005, 04:51 PM

I think you played it very well preflop. But blast the crap out of that flop. You'll get PLENTY of action from AA/KK/JJ/TT. Don't worry about AK. Even if it's out there, you'll still fill up a lot of the time. And you don't want to lose out on massive value from the hands you're beating.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:57 PM

Your flop play wants me make to throw up, bet more please.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your flop play wants me make to throw up, bet more please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak stomache?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:15 PM

The best approach to this flop can probably best be summed up in the following words:

"[censored] it. Stack me, Broadway."
Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 PM

Villian had 99 for turned straight. He said after the hand he would have called a PF reraise, and would call with his straight draw on the flop.

Betting out I think was the best action, though I would likely be paying off on the turn. Not to be results oriented, but I would have lost a lot more had I played more aggressively. I might have even been pushed off if an ace fell on the turn.

BB was an idiot and had As2s for missed flush draw/gutshot draw.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 PM

You should have explained to BN about calling looking for an overcall. And of course you should have raised that flop big trying to get all in.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Betting out I think was the best action, though I would likely be paying off on the turn. Not to be results oriented, but I would have lost a lot more had I played more aggressively. I might have even been pushed off if an ace fell on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this not results oriented? If you KNEW on the flop that villain had 99, would you NOT want to be all-in with him?

Of course it costs a lot when you are out drawn. But the way you played it, it still costs a lot when you are outdrawn AND you don't make very much money the 2/3rds of the time your hand is good to make up for it (again, vs. OESD and/or flush draws. Obviously on many flops your sets are good much better than 2/3 of the time).

If you're not willing to go to war with your sets, you're bleeding money. Your opponents get to clean up with you when they hit their big hands, but you get nothing from them with yours.