Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Another value bet in the history of value bets

Online game shorthanded. Folded to me in the small blind and I raise T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Big blind three-bets and I call.

Flop comes: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, big blind bets, I checkraise, big blind three-bets, I cap and big blind calls.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet and big blind pauses and calls.

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet and big blind calls.

lars
Old 06-06-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Another value bet in the history of value bets

Unless you are sure he will call with A-high type hands I think it would be better to try to induce a bluff from a missed draw.

Kim
Old 06-06-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Another value bet in the history of value bets

Your post implies that checkfold is out of the question. If so, then betting out certainly seems like a better play than checkcalling. This is because he will call with ace high often (as the river doesn't add any threats to his hand). He will also value bet overpairs if you check as he might now assume that you are checking because your 97 has been counterfeited (or perhaps 'overcoated' is the more appropriate term). So, you don't save a bet by chceking when he has an overpair.

It's hard to see what draw he could have with which he would bluff if you check. There are a few such draws but they number far less than calling Ace high hands or overpairs.

So overall, I like the bet.