Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Lose or tight games?

I'm having problems making up my mind which kind of game suits me better.
Before I looked for the somewhat more tighter games as it was easier to not be drawned out by someone playing A3 when I hit my A with AK. Now I tend to look for the loser games as I'm able to play a few more hands and thus winning more.

What should I really be looking for?

I should add that at the site I play on, there are like 5 tables to chose from at my limit. Also I play Limit 10 max.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Lose or tight games?

If you can swing it, consider moving to a site with wide game selection. There are so many games running all the time, there's no reason to have to settle for a game.

As for loose/tight, it depends.

If the game is loose, I like it to be passive and loose. Aggressive and loose can just be very painful and rather than allowing me to play more hands, I have to tighten up. The upside to loose/aggressive is that the pots will be huge, but your swings will be terrific.

If the game is tight, it has to be populated with weak players. That is, I have to be able to play aggressively and get people to fold to me. If the game is tight and aggressive, you shouldn't play it. Period. That's the worst kind of game. A weak lineup will often be passive, so tight/passive with weak players (not calling stations) can be lucrative.

Good luck,

T
Old 10-08-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Lose or tight games?

I second what Sheridan said. My only possibly slight difference of opinion is, if you're playing low stakes and aren't likely to find a tight-passive game that you can run over through aggressive play, go ahead and learn to love looseness, even including loose-aggressiveness. LAG games are high-variance, but if you play either powerhouse starting hands or clear-cut drawing hands that can hit it big (suited connectors and aces, small pairs) then you should do great over the long run. But of course you need to be adequately bankrolled, and have a high tolerance for the emotional pain that comes when some goober with A3-offsuit rivers two pair against your AK.

(And I'm also looking for an excuse to post for the first time in ages -- first i was very busy, and now my laptop is undergoing repairs. But hopefully this new job will lead to greater bankroll in the future. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])