Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Playing with multiple multi-tablers

I have been playing on Poker Stars (mostly $0.25/$0.50 Limit HE) for about a year and a half now. Two months ago I withdrew the $ I started with and moved up to the $0.50/$1.00 level with the profits. I've noticed something new at this level: multi-tablers = A LOT OF THEM! Last night, 5 of the 10 people at my table were playing 2, 4, 5, or more tables at the same time. How do I deal with this? I don't have the best read on all of them, but it's been my experience that these people play above average at least. I'm sure i've never seen one draw to poor odds, play loose, or overplay/call. Also PS only usually has like six $0.50/$1.00, 10 person tables going at a time so I can't get away. Suggestions?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Playing with multiple multi-tablers

[ QUOTE ]
Also PS only usually has like six $0.50/$1.00, 10 person tables going at a time so I can't get away. Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Switch to Party.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 AM

When i first decided to play real money on-line, I played on Party and lost my ass. This left me with a "that site is rigged and/or full of bots and/or full of conspiring people" taste in my mouth. However, now that i consider myself above average, i may go there. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure i've never seen one draw to poor odds, play loose, or overplay/call. Also PS only usually has like six $0.50/$1.00, 10 person tables going at a time so I can't get away. Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you post this in Psychology because you are 'psyched out' by the multi-tablers? At this level I suggest you bear down and learn to play. If these players were as good as you make them out to be they would not be playing .50/1. I seriously doubt you have never seen one make a mistake. Best to you...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Short answer: "yes, i get psyched out when i see the same six people on EVERY SINGLE TABLE".

I think the 1st assumption is that because i play on a $0.50 table, i must suck. The 2nd assumption is that you can't be good and make money at this limit. If one is playing consistently and winning 2-6 BB/100, they could make a decent amount by doing this at 6 tables.

My point is basically: what do you do when over half the table is equal or better than you? Play tighter? Play another time? Log out and watch The Simpsons? Going to another table isn't an option. Going to another site could be time consuming, but workable. If anybody has dealt with this, I'd be happy for some input. People who play multiple tables: what's your take on this? What's been your experience playing with other multi-tablers? If there's 5 of you playing on 4 tables and you're all above average: are you just swapping $?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the best read on all of them, but it's been my experience that these people play above average at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you multi-table doesn't mean you're good, there are still an unbelievable amount of poor players out there, it's not something you should worry about.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When i first decided to play real money on-line, I played on Party and lost my ass. This left me with a "that site is rigged and/or full of bots and/or full of conspiring people" taste in my mouth. However, now that i consider myself above average, i may go there. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody loses money when they first start playing. The only people that don't lose money when they first start playing Internet poker are people that already have experience. If the first time you ever played Hold'em was at Party, then it is not surprising that you lost money. I lost $500 when I first started playing at Party two years ago, but I'm a winning player today.

I would recommend giving Party another shot. Try to make your first foray back during the evening between 7 PM - 1 AM EST. A Friday or Saturday evening would be best. I have a Stars account and I never play there because of the multi-tablers. I know they at least have some idea of how to play. Some of the players on Party have no idea what they are doing.

Also, I would recommend starting with the full-ring (10 player) $25 NL tables with the $0.15 and $0.25 cent blinds. If you just play decent poker there and don't try anything tricky you should be fine. Don't worry too much about bluffing, just play your strong hands aggressively and you will likely get paid off.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Concentrate less on the presence of good players, and worry more about the presence of weak players.

If there are 3-4 good mult-tablers at your table, that does not necessarily mean the game is bad. It only takes 2-3 unskilled players to make a game worth playing most of the time.

That said, I will agree with those who say that the PTY .5/1 game is softer than the Stars .25/.5. I have played both and I agree. I don't think it would be exaagerating to say that the PTY .5/1 plays a lot like the Stars .05/.1.

Party is worth a try, but don't abandon Stars.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Knowing someone is multi-tabling shouldn't "psych you out" at all. These people are playing .5/1 so they're obviously not the best players alive, and since they're multitabling they are most probably playing a very ABC game. It's very easy to beat these people and you shouldn't be worried as long as you understand who the multi-tabling ABC players are and who the fish are and play them accordingly.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing someone is multi-tabling shouldn't "psych you out" at all. These people are playing .5/1 so they're obviously not the best players alive, and since they're multitabling they are most probably playing a very ABC game. It's very easy to beat these people and you shouldn't be worried as long as you understand who the multi-tabling ABC players are and who the fish are and play them accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you suggest i play them: a little more aggressively preflop (blind stealing) upon knowing they are playing very few hands? Or should I use a little more caution with the cards i play against them if i feel they are only playing top tier hands? Perhaps i should get poker tracker so i can get more info on other players than i can keep track of on my own.