Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Argh.. ITH and WLLH is above me, where to go now?

Hi, I bought these 2 books and they came today. I picked up WLLH and am lost after 20 pages. Also got lost 20 pages into ITH, the concepts in these books are above me. I thought I could pick it up ok but with my very limited poker knowledge it all goes over my head. Years ago I played poker with my friends, we'd draw 5 cards, hold the good ones, draw again and see who has the best hand. Texas holdem is similar in what hands are the best but different with everything else. Honestly I don't even remember which hands are higher (ie is a straight better or a flush? Full house or 4 of a kind?)

I don't want to have to wait another week to order an even more begginer book but it looks like I might have to. Unless you guys have another suggestion. I have about $3,500 bankroll so I was thinking that I might start an account and play the bonuses to gain experience with Texas holdem, then go back to the books for the begginer concepts. I use the term begginer loosely because IMHO calculating odds, other opponents hands, etc on the fly is advanced material. Maybe it's not as hard as I think?

So where should I go now? Fundamantal book?(WLLH recomends Fundamentals of poker or Poker for dummies) Maybe practice software? Or just start playing?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Argh.. ITH and WLLH is above me, where to go now?

Play on some play money tables online, then go back to WLLH. It will seem alot clearer after 50 hands played.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play on some play money tables online, then go back to WLLH. It will seem alot clearer after 50 hands played.

[/ QUOTE ]Good advice.

Don't expect to take everything in at once. But if you decide you really do need a more basic book you might want to go to the library (they still have these, right?) and look at what's available there. One of the ones you mention might be right for you. Or you could wait for Ed Miller's beginner book coming out in a month or so.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Good advice.

Don't expect to take everything in at once. But if you decide you really do need a more basic book you might want to go to the library (they still have these, right?) and look at what's available there. One of the ones you mention might be right for you. Or you could wait for Ed Miller's beginner book coming out in a month or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both suggestions are good advice, but if you can't find a library or you just don't like whispering, try Barnes & Noble / Borders / some other large bookstore and look for the most basic poker book you can find. I haven't read it so I can't vouch for it, but Poker for Dummies might be good.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fundamantal book?(WLLH recomends Fundamentals of poker or Poker for dummies) Maybe practice software? Or just start playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read those books, but it sounds like a good idea. If you do decide to just start playing go for play money, or the lowest limit possible. Even though you have a bankroll to play at higher limits, you will most certainly quickly lose it if you try.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:19 PM

1) get and play 1000 hands on wilson's turbo texas holdem. Use the advise function if you don't know what to do
2) open an online account and play with play money in a LIMIT game until you double your money or go bust
3) if you double it, open a real money account. If not, read WLLH and go back to step 1
Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the helpful information guys, I'm downloading the Pokerstar software and will start with them because they have play money rooms and no sign up bonus (neteller money hasn't reached the account yet)

Wilson software is pretty expensive so I think I'll stick to playing real (sucky) opponents for now.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 09:55 AM

I take it you dont really know how to play poker yet? WLLH is pritty much as simple as it gets apart from explaining the rules of the game to you. Id look for web sites with the rules explained to you first then play on play money tables and you pick it up. Then read wllh and you should start to win a bit, Then read ITH and use his starting hand charts. I did'nt fully understan ITH at first either but when i read WLLH and played for a shoirt while then went back to ITH i understood it much better. But now i realise that ITH is infact a very simple book compaired to SSH and HPFAP.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Very basic beginners guide that may be of help.

Hendon Mob Beginners guide
Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 AM

1. Reread WLLH. Holdem is not rocket science, and Lee Jones' WLLH is not the intellectual equivalent of Newton's Principia Mathematica. Just be patient and keep re-reading it. Dont try to memorize all of the preflop starting hands on your first pass. Just read for conceptual understanding.

2. Dont play at money tables. You will get anihillated.