FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Tap Water or Brita
Tap Water 1 50.00%
Brita 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Why I asked....

[ QUOTE ]
Can a 'League Most Valuable Player' have a batting average with runners in scoring position of around .200? How is that most valuable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget fewer hits, fewer doubles, fewer walks, lower batting average, fewer runs, lower on base %, lower slugging, lower OPS, lower win shares, lower VORP, fewer stolen bases.

But, he does have more HR, more RBI and more strikeouts.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can a 'League Most Valuable Player' have a batting average with runners in scoring position of around .200? How is that most valuable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget fewer hits, fewer doubles, fewer walks, lower batting average, fewer runs, lower on base %, lower slugging, lower OPS, lower win shares, lower VORP, fewer stolen bases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Include defense and you have to give it to AJ.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats interesting considering Albert is likely to win the Gold Glove at first and leads the majors in opportunities by a staggering 240 with nearly 1,600, compared to Jones' 350 with the same fielding %. Just how much better can one be defensively when one has one 5th the chances and the same fielding %. Add in that Albert has the highest range factor in the majors by a large margin and Jones has one of the worst among outfielders this year.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats interesting considering Albert is likely to win the Gold Glove at first and leads the majors in opportunities by a staggering 240 with nearly 1,600, compared to Jones' 350 with the same fielding %. Just how much better can one be defensively when one has one 5th the chances and the same fielding %. Add in that Albert has the highest range factor in the majors by a large margin and Jones has one of the worst among outfielders this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

What. The. [censored]?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What. The. [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just in the irrational ranting stages. Ignore me.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:01 AM

i think the reason people are disagreeing is a semantic one. if you think the MVP award is who is more valuable and important to the team, its jones. if you think it is who is the best player who provides the most net runs, its albert. the difference between the braves and the braves minus jones takes them from a division leader to a team getting left in the dust of the wild card race. the cards without pujols are still going to win the division, hes arguably the best player in the game but the cards are so far ahead and so much better than the braves, etc you see my point?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:02 AM

Yeah, I know you're a lot smarter than that.

AJ's defense is nowhere near enough to catapult him above Pujols, though. AJ has to make up like 40 runs with his glove and that's not possible, especially since both Pujols and Lee are slick as hell. I'm guessing AJ saves about, oh, 10-15 runs more.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the reason people are disagreeing is a semantic one. if you think the MVP award is who is more valuable and important to the team, its jones. if you think it is who is the best player who provides the most net runs, its albert. the difference between the braves and the braves minus jones takes them from a division leader to a team getting left in the dust of the wild card race. the cards without pujols are still going to win the division, hes arguably the best player in the game but the cards are so far ahead and so much better than the braves, etc you see my point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the fact that the Cardinals without Albert *this year* very possibly DON'T make the playoffs. He's done everything he's done without the 2, 4, 6 and 8 hitters for over half the year, including a guy who finished top 5 in the MVP voting last year out for essentially the whole season.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know you're a lot smarter than that.

AJ's defense is nowhere near enough to catapult him above Pujols, though. AJ has to make up like 40 runs with his glove and that's not possible, especially since both Pujols and Lee are slick as hell. I'm guessing AJ saves about, oh, 10-15 runs more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it's that much. Dude only gets 2.5 chances a game.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This creates a situation where a player can become a better candidate if his team starts losing, though.