Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 10:24 AM

Default High pair weak kicker HU

I'd like comments on all parts of this hand. How is check-raising the flop, is it better to bet out? Am I being bluffed out of the pot more than not on the river?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
Old 02-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: High pair weak kicker HU

I just bet this flop. There's no guarantee that he will bet it, so no reason to go for the c/r (without a read that he'll bet for sure). Turn bet is good. This is an unfortunate river. I think the times that you are beat by a better K coupled by the likelihood that he has a flush makes this a pretty safe laydown.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:12 AM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

The check raise isn't an obvious move, but I don't mind it. Villain knows we're there for free, so it's a bit like inducing a bluff on the river. We can expect most reasonable players to try to take the pot with a bet here I think. Turn and river are straight-forward.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 PM

Depending on if the opponent is likely to bet if checked to or not, I'd either lead the flop or check-raise the turn.

As played I think check-folding the river really sucks. Either bet/fold for value or check/call hoping to induce a bluff -- the check/fold is just inviting any T or small pocket pair to take a shot at you.