Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 12:10 AM

Default Playing Behind a University Firewall that Chokes Traffic

I'm in a bit of distress right now. I started playing poker online this summer. Currently, I'm grinding my way up through the microlimits at Pacific. I came back to the dorms a couple days ago and found that I can no longer play at Pacific because the university firewall restricts traffic so badly that I frequently time out when the action is on me.

So, my question to you guys is: has anyone ever defeated a university firewall for poker playing purposes? I've been reading up, and it seems like I have two choices: begging the network admins to open up the port that Pacific uses or doing some arcane HTTP tunneling crap. Can anyone even tell me what port Pacific and most other gaming sites use for a starting point?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Playing Behind a University Firewall that Chokes Traffic

get a dial up connection or move off campus
Old 09-08-2004, 11:52 AM

The port is probably already open. If they were blocking the port, you could not get on at all.

They are most likely restricting bandwidth to the dorms in some way. This may be a blanket cap on all bandwidth coming from the dorms--in which case your problem is being caused by your cohorts sucking up all available bandwidth--or they may be using what is know as "bandwidth shaping" to prioritize traffic at different levels. You may or may not have luck with talking to them exactly what they restrict. Have you tried other sites besides Pacific?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:10 PM

Default I had the same problem

Two years ago, I had the same problem with Planet Poker. I would time out quite often, but the access wasn't completely blocked.

As another poster surmised, the port is not blocked because if it were you wouldn't have any access at all.

I never found a solution to this.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:38 PM

Do the other sites time out?

If not then the simple solution is change sites and go back to pacific once you move off campus.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:25 PM

I ran into the same problem, but it is a little wierd becuase up until yesterday i could play just fine(with only the occasional timeout problems), but then yesterday all the sudden i couldnt log in at all and neither could any of my fellow players on campus. Im wondering if they just now blocked the portal or whatever possibly because they could see all the bandwith we were taking up(i refered almost every person on my floor [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) Anyways, ive got the biggest computer junkie i know working on it and im hoping he can come up with a solution. He mentioned something about making a website from your internet connection at your house that will run the poker application for you or redirect you to it or somthing like that. I also plan on talking to the university tech guys or whatever but i dont thnk they will be too simpathetic.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:57 PM

I admit I haven't examined it but I'd be surprised if an internet poker client used very much bandwidth at all. I assume there's only a minimal amount of information being passed to tell the client what to show you. ("Player at seat #9 bets $5" "Player at seat 3 mucks" etc.) All the graphics and animations ought to be pre-loaded on your computer when you install the client software.

Or at least that's how I'd do it.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
get a dial up connection or move off campus

[/ QUOTE ]

Is dialup sufficient speed for online poker? i havent used dialup in a long time so i have no idea, but if dialup would work that would be a definate option, and it would aslo be nice to know so that i could get connected at my cabin in the summer. Does anyone on here play with a dialup connection?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:23 PM

does anyone know what time the new player freeroll tonight on party will be taking place, cuase i was planning on playing like 5 seats (for some of the guys i referred) but we still cant get through the firewall. Would anyone be interested in taking one of the seats...i think there was some decent prize money, like 25k total if i remember right.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:27 PM

You plan on playing all 5 seats by yourself?