Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Super System NL Holdem Section

I am about to read the section in super system 1 on NL holdem and i know it has been said that some of the strategy in there is not applicable anymore, ecspecially at the lower stakes, which is where i will be playing. what sections sections should i read then that are applicable to the games i will be playing in. page numbers may be helpful, thanks...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Super System NL Holdem Section

The main thing is that in today's game the stacks are not nearly as deep and the players are much looser. Therefore your opponent will not be folding his TPTK when you push with your OESD.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:26 PM

Read the whole damn thing and learn through trial and error like I did what works and what doesn't. Then, remember to play the player and not the cards. And, tone the aggression down a hair at the lower levels, especially with capped buy-ins. Much of what he talks about is applicable to deep stack poker.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 AM

I think Super System is good under certain conditions. Brunson's style is more psychological rather than mathematical. His aggresiveness is aimed at getting under the skin of other players. Works great too, given the right opponents. It also works shorthanded, not in a full ring. And, it takes some poker-knowhow before you can use it correctly. You should not make it your first book IMO.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:30 AM

NL is a more psychological game than mathematical. We had this discussion on the Caro article. Math applies, but, implied odds are more important. You can give up correct pot odds for the chance to stack a person if you make your hand. You're right, it's not the perfect book for beginners, but, it doesn't hurt to read it and try out the ideas. I mean, you only learn how things work through trial and error.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM

Read it..... play a few months.....read it .....play a few months.
Keep repeating this as you move up in limits, each time you read it you will understand more
Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Very incomplete

the section is not well written, therefore often unclear. it also is very incomplete compared to what you really need to know. while it is written for nl cash games, i think you must read other books too, or your understanding will be lacking. TOP, SSH, HPFAP, HOH vol 1 &2, are necessary to get a good foundation. i also think SS advocates a type of play that was revolutionary when it was introduced, but you must find your own style, and make adjustments based on your opponents. therefore, even after reading SS, and the others books, start slowly. good luck.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL is a more psychological game than mathematical. We had this discussion on the Caro article. Math applies, but, implied odds are more important. You can give up correct pot odds for the chance to stack a person if you make your hand. You're right, it's not the perfect book for beginners, but, it doesn't hurt to read it and try out the ideas. I mean, you only learn how things work through trial and error.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggression is mathematical more than psychological. A semibluff works because of folding equity. Plus you force your opponents to pay you off when you hit.

The aggression part is very useful, as is all of the work. He says don't bluff a calling station and play tight at loose games.

In a typical live 1/2 NL game, playing real aggressive is not going to work for most people. With people going allin with top pair, it is easier to just play tight and look to get payed off with big hands. This approach would not work in the games Brunson plays in.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

russian bear, you make a good point!

alot of us (and i'm probably one of the biggest culprits on this forum) seem to want books to tell us exactly how to play.

but i'm learning that there are so many types of hold-em (limit, no-limit, short/long tourney's, short-handed) not to mention so many types of opponents (adjusting to the different games), that books are only starting points.

i find it very helpful to engage a cycle of books/reading, playing, thinking about it, simulation (or trying stuff for free on wilson software). don't get me wrong, i still love books.

i guess worst case, i'm looking for a book to give me a few "aha!!" ideas, where i realize i've really been doing something wrong.

also, all the good books seem to get into player reads pretty fast. i.e. there's a limit to how far you can take your poker without that....

note that i've liked low limit hold-em as there have been alot of loose-passive games (and i can watch TV while multi-tabling and do o.k.), but i see those games tightening up as poor players either 1) quit; 2) get a book and learn absolute basics; 3) move to shorthanded (where they can play slightly better by accident); 4) move to no-limit (cash/SNG/tournament).

one last question: do people find it difficult to move between all the different conditions (limit/no-limit, cash/tournament, full/SH, passive/aggressive, loose/tight).... am i doing myself a disservice by jumping between these on an intra-daily (or more frequent) basis?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 PM

I rarely play limit, I don't get it. I'll play micro-limits on UB once in a great while, but that's just to kill time. As far as jumping between cash/tournament, full ring/shorthanded, loose/passive, well, that goes with the territory and you have to be mindful of where you're at. Often, when I'm at a table online, after I've stacked a couple of guys, people begin to leave the table, they don't want to play with me anymore. Those that remain keep trying to trap me. So, the game has changed and you have to recognize that and adjust. Sometime at the B&M a few loose players leave after a while and are replaced by new, different players. Maybe the new guys are loose too, maybe they're tight-passive. It does change the complexion of the game and you must adjust. As for playing in cash games and tournaments, yes, there is a difference and you cannot forget where you're at. But, I don't think it'll harm you to play a sit and go or two online, then go play a ring game for a while.