Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: closest game to poker, skill v. luck

[ QUOTE ]
RUGBY

Great skill is required however the random bounce of the egg shaped ball striking an uneven surface adds a "luck element" that can only be moderatly controlled through skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats isn't anywhere near the case! A good rugby team will win, and win big. In fact out of all the team sports I can think off the rugby is one of the ones where the best team has a huge edge.

Risk is a good one though, as are a lot of board game that use dice.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Gin Rummy at a guess
Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 PM

Street Fighter 2 with blindfolds on.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think that golf is similar to poker in the respect of luck vs skill. The long run is very long in golf as it is in poker. Tiger Woods at his best (and he dominated in 2000) didn't even win half of his tourneys in 2000 (against 80-144 other players for four days). One hand of poker is somewhat comparable to one hole of golf. There is the luck of getting cards vs the luck of synchronizing your swing (more luck for bad than good players) and the luck of the roll in golf is significant. Even the worst players can make a birdie (or win a pot) periodically. That's what keeps them coming back in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree- how many no-names come out and beat the top pros in a PGA event such as the US Open?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many get the opportunity? Don't try to compare the US Open to the WSOP, because the US Open has handicap restrictions along with local and sectional qualifying. If we took 5600 golfers around the country and put them up against Tiger and the rest, they would have a tougher time. Certainly the worst golfers cannot beat Tiger, but the worst poker players can't beat the boys in a 7 to 10 day tourney either. I've played scratch golf and I'm sure some days I could beat Tiger. Put 5600 of me against him in a tourney and he'd have trouble. Poker has more luck than golf but it isn't as significant as you might think.