Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Default SLAP vs TAG

im going to have another look through the site but one thing i could do with help on, and im sure others could too, is how to change play style.

im a SLAP and have tried over many sessions to play as a TAG, it seems what ever i do i always end up as SLAP .....i would like to play one session as a TAG ( so i can get the cool icon in PT ;-) but just can't help checking my monsters to the aggressive players ....

what are the significnat differences betwen a SLAP and a TAG? I buy quite a few pots and steal blinds ... is that also making me seem more statistically loose? Im definalty loose in late position but will put down "good hands" in early.

is being a SLAP bad? seems everything i read says you should be a TAG, so please .. can you make my dream come true and make me a TAG for a day?

(old uk joke - anyone remember jim'll fix it?)

seriously just one session with the eagle icon and i will be happy
Old 11-14-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: SLAP vs TAG

I'm not being mean, because it's not just you...but do you
want to become a winning poker player or have really
cool-looking PT stats? They are not conjoined entities
necessarily unfortunately.

Also, TAG is just one winning style...there are a lot of winning
LAGs here...

-ZEN
Old 11-14-2005, 09:26 PM

Funny, I am also a SLAP and so far in my year of low stakes NL playing I usually do pretty well. However, I am trying to turn my game into more of a TAG style, but I'm trying to find the difference between a SLAP and a TAG. I play my strong hands aggressive pre flop and usually continuation bet in a small field (2 or less). I'm not quite sure what is keeping me from being a TAG. I think it may be my post flop play, sometimes wanting to see cheap showdowns against aggressive players when holding TPTK on a threatening board or something of the sort.

I am wondering as well..is being a SLAP bad? How much of a differece is there between a SLAP and a TAG?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 PM

If you feel comfortable as a SLAP, then work on being a better one. Find those places where you can make a small change that saves or makes you one BB. Then look for another one.

I think until you get to the point where the only games you can find at your playing level are not conducive to your style, why worry about changing as the adjustments are mostly minor?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 AM

I'm not sure being a SLAP is undesirable, it probably indicates not much more than that you are playing more hands pre-flop that a TAG would.

Personally I play a SLAP style and when I have forced myself to play a TAG style I have succeeded mainly in making myself uncomfortable and eroding my own win rate.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not being mean, because it's not just you...but do you
want to become a winning poker player or have really
cool-looking PT stats? They are not conjoined entities
necessarily unfortunately.Also, TAG is just one winning style...there are a lot of winning
LAGs here...

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a touch of british comedy in the post .... i dont really care about my PT icon (but i do like eagles ;-), it is a touch of comedy. i should no better than trying to be funny in a post ... but the question is a serioius one.

I am a winning player, (since i analyzed my play in PT) and fixed some leaks, but i see TAGS being generally slightly more profitable.

Also, i dont see many SLAPS around ..... can some informed user point out the main difference betweene the two styles... im at 1/2 Nl at the mo but fear my style may get me in to trouble as i move up?

thx in advance.

BTW over a 1000 hand session i play on average 32% of hands 21% of which are not as blind.
P.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokerlistings.com/no-limi...-strategy#miss
This is ABC 10handed poker. Follow it exactly, and congrats your a TAG. Im a tag and i even play a lil looser then this.

[/ QUOTE ]

From usr: SCORCH
Old 11-15-2005, 03:37 PM

What is a SLAP? I clicked the abbreviation link on the front page and didn't see it.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:54 PM

I have always been a SLAP to PT and always will be a SLAP. So I went into PT and gave myself the smiley face. I think part of the reason SLAP is undesirable is that Mr. Yuck poison face that is the default PT icon.

SLAP is from Poker Tracker. It stands for Semi-loose Aggressive Passive. So you play a fair number of hands and raise a lot preflop, but slow down a bit once the cards are dealt.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM

SLAP = Semi-loose agressive/passive