Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Default A very quick question. 6 MAX

6 Max on Party is known for its loose players who like to go to the river with anything. This happens also of course with some players at full ring but to not such a big degree.

Well after a totally frustrating day at full ring $1 $2 where I dropped 60BB in about 1500 hands, I decided to have my first spin at 6 Max. As much due to feeling tilty as anything. My short session went pretty well and I recovered 25BB back in about 60 hands. But apart from running well and seeing just how bad the players were they seemed so much easier to read than at full ring.

Full ring I have found to be quite aggressive with lots of raising with draws and mediocre paired hands. This has led to me paying off hands probably more than I should. And that is despite my went to SD % being only 26.57 in 5k hands. (I could not have gone to showdown more as I have been tending to show down even quite marginal hands. 27% is probably indicative of how badly I have run for those hands.) 6 Max seems to have a lot of passives in who like to call a lot but only raise when they have something they like. Is this because most hands get shown-down at 6 Max so bluffs are worthless?

So my quick question which took a long time to say is to ask whether others on here find 6 Max easier for reads than full ring?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: A very quick question. 6 MAX

[ QUOTE ]
So my quick question which took a long time to say is to ask whether others on here find 6 Max easier for reads than full ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely - you can punish bad players more often and you don't need to get reads on as many players.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:38 PM

That is what I thought. Plus fewer TAG type players (although a lot with those stats still play terrible) to get in the way. The downside of course is that had I had the run I had today in full ring for the same number of hands it probably costs me a lot more. I know from NL 6 Max which I have played a fair bit of is that a day of cold cards and suckouts is death shorthanded.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Congratulations, you learned what everyone learns eventually, 6-max is better than fullring.

[ QUOTE ]
6 Max on Party is known for its loose players who like to go to the river with anything. This happens also of course with some players at full ring but to not such a big degree.

Well after a totally frustrating day at full ring $1 $2 where I dropped 60BB in about 1500 hands, I decided to have my first spin at 6 Max. As much due to feeling tilty as anything. My short session went pretty well and I recovered 25BB back in about 60 hands. But apart from running well and seeing just how bad the players were they seemed so much easier to read than at full ring.

Full ring I have found to be quite aggressive with lots of raising with draws and mediocre paired hands. This has led to me paying off hands probably more than I should. And that is despite my went to SD % being only 26.57 in 5k hands. (I could not have gone to showdown more as I have been tending to show down even quite marginal hands. 27% is probably indicative of how badly I have run for those hands.) 6 Max seems to have a lot of passives in who like to call a lot but only raise when they have something they like. Is this because most hands get shown-down at 6 Max so bluffs are worthless?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 PM

In fact, that's one of the impressions I posted here.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, that's one of the impressions I posted here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. Did you stick with it though?

The thing that does scare me big time was all of those pokergrapher charts in the HUSH forum which with only a few exceptions gave me nightmares! Some of the dips were horrendous (I think I spelt that wrong).
Old 10-23-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post. Did you stick with it though?

The thing that does scare me big time was all of those pokergrapher charts in the HUSH forum which with only a few exceptions gave me nightmares! Some of the dips were horrendous (I think I spelt that wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Considering this is only day 2, I'm still with it (haven't played yet today - just busted out of the blogger tournament at Stars).

I saw a dip for myself on day 1 - at one table I lost all the money I bought in with. In retrospect, the table wasn't good and my primary mistake was not leaving sooner.

It's pretty much proven that the variance is the most of any hold'em game you can play (including NL), but I think long term success is all in how you are at reads and observation.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:10 PM

Just played another longer session and it is so much more fun than full-ring. I suffered some terrible suckouts that affected my winrate a lot but only to be expected when they cannot fold anything, I lost a buyin also. But found a guy who capped on every street with any pair. He was very generous to me! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well my BB/100 in full ring after 5k hands is -0.87 and my BB/100 6 Max is 8.6. So I know where I am staying.

Before anyone jumps on me I know that neither amount of hands means anything. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 08:27 PM

From what i can see your advantage over bad players is significantly reduced in 6-max, mainly because you are forced to lower your opening standards. It would definitely be better for a good player to get the same bad players in a full ring game, particularly the laggier ones whose behaviour becomes much closer to correct in 6-max than it is in full ring.

That said, the players are so bad in Party 6-max that it offers a bigger advantage than is available in the full ring games but this is only because the players are so much worse not because of the structure of the game.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what i can see your advantage over bad players is significantly reduced in 6-max, mainly because you are forced to lower your opening standards. It would definitely be better for a good player to get the same bad players in a full ring game, particularly the laggier ones whose behaviour becomes much closer to correct in 6-max than it is in full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your advantage is dramatically increased over bad players because you can isolate them more often and steal their blinds more often. Not to mention you have more opportunities to outplay postflop (you don't have to showdown the best hand as much).