Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Delirium Tremens - Best tasting beer in the world?

Actually had this beer at Delerium in Brussels and thought it was really good. My friends and I traveled all around Europe this summer and tasted all kinds of brews (who cares about sights...there's beer to be drank), this wasnt my favorite, but i definately didnt think it was "metallic". I'm assuming you bought this beer in NYC. A lot of beer is ruined when it's brought to the states, Heinekin is a perfect example. If you really want to experience beers that arent very "mainstream" i suggest doing so abroad, that is if we're talking imports.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say that I find it tinny, but I definitely like a lot of other Belgians over Delirium Tremens. In fact, the same people brew a darker beer called Delirium Nocturnum that I like far more than Delirium Tremens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.

But The Delirium Tremens Café in Brussels is certainly one of the best beer bars in the world (not that I've tried them all)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd listen extra carefully to this guy. He's Danish, they know their [censored] when it comes to beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

A humble thank you Sir. But a lot of Danes just drink a trillion Carlsbergs and although that can be fine and dandy if the purpose is to get drunk, i wouldn't call that knowing their [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 AM

I like the Great Lakes Eliot Ness (brewed in Cleveland) more than any beer listed there. It's better than the Edmund Fitzgerald mentioned there.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the Great Lakes Eliot Ness (brewed in Cleveland) more than any beer listed there. It's better than the Edmund Fitzgerald mentioned there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've had all those beers that Swede listed there, you are my new beer god. I'll see you in Cleveland. Any other recommendations?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But The Delirium Tremens Café in Brussels is certainly one of the best beer bars in the world (not that I've tried them all)

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you been to Kulminator in Antwerp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes. Another great beer bar. But as you know they specialize in aged beers and what I missed the last time I was there, was the opportunity to have a new version to taste together with the aged one.

But what a great selection they have!

This is the beers I sampled:

Gravensteenbier Triple 1996
Witkap Pater Dubbele 1998
Sint Idesbald Bruin 2001
Chimay Bleu 1981
and the crown juvel
Westvleteren 6 - red capsule 1998 (went out of production that year)

Beer is g00t!!~~!

[/ QUOTE ]
Noted. I like the idea of trying different versions, and I'll make sure to find the Delirium Tremens Café next time. I don't remember all of the beers I had at Kulminator, but I do remember

Chimay Bleu (don't remember the vintages, but very much better than stuff I'd had before .. spicy, strong, etc.)
Floreffe - biere speciale de l'abbaye 1982 (after this, they closed the brewery. It was later reopened, but the beers aren't as good.)
Stille Nicht 1984 (de Dolle)

I hadn't actually had a Westvleteren yet, so I didn't think to order the 6. Hopefully, I can try one next time. Here are my giddy notes from when I went to the abbey itself:

steve and i met up with heather and traveled some more around belgium. our last stop was the sint sixtus abbey, where they brew westvleteren beer .. possibly the best beer in the world. we managed to hitch a ride all the way to the brewery (in a really nice audi station wagon .. would you pick up three hitchers if you had an all leather interior?). we went inside and asked if they knew of anywhere to camp .. the campground was kind of far from the brewery, so the woman at the counter asked if it was just for one night, and tried to call up her friend (who has a large back yard). her friend wasn't home, so they let us stay behind the cafe! excellent! i managed to drink their beer in the morning, afternoon, and evening. the visit to westvleteren was, perhaps, the highlight of my vacation. great, friendly people, great beer, good cheese, great pate, and the best ice cream ever (it's made, of course, with beer).
Old 10-19-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
steve and i met up with heather and traveled some more around belgium. our last stop was the sint sixtus abbey, where they brew westvleteren beer .. possibly the best beer in the world. we managed to hitch a ride all the way to the brewery (in a really nice audi station wagon .. would you pick up three hitchers if you had an all leather interior?). we went inside and asked if they knew of anywhere to camp .. the campground was kind of far from the brewery, so the woman at the counter asked if it was just for one night, and tried to call up her friend (who has a large back yard). her friend wasn't home, so they let us stay behind the cafe! excellent! i managed to drink their beer in the morning, afternoon, and evening. the visit to westvleteren was, perhaps, the highlight of my vacation. great, friendly people, great beer, good cheese, great pate, and the best ice cream ever (it's made, of course, with beer).

[/ QUOTE ]

I envy you. I have never been at the monestary. This year I visited the Westmalle Abbey but it's not quite the same [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and this is what the Chimay looked like 24 years ago:

Old 10-19-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Give me a Newcastle any day.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Newcastle is awesome, I just tried it for the 1st time about a month ago, and I love it.

But the best tasting beer I evrer had is:

Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I envy you. I have never been at the monestary.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you go, make sure to check out the wandelpad (side note: that's one of my all-time favorite words).
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and this is what the Chimay looked like 24 years ago:

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fantastic! unfortunately, I have neither pictures nor bottles from my trip to Kulminator. All of my spare backpack space was filled with Westvleteren bottles later on in the trip.