Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2003, 12:46 PM

Default PLO Hand

The game is the 1/2 100 buy-in game on Party Poker. I've only played a few hands at this table. (I have ~95, relavent player has me covered)

We are six handed. I am in the big blind with AsAc6s4d. UTG calls, SB calls and I raise the pot. Only UTG calls.

Flop comes 6h6c9s. I bet the pot, UTG calls. Because it was short handed and I raised pre-flop, I figure he will make this call with the straight draw or a six with a lower kicker, as well of course with 99 or 96.

Turn is the 2d. I bet the pot, UTG calls. At this point I am fairly sure I am beat. Since most of my money is now in, that does not do me much good.

River is the 5c. I check-call my last 20 and he has 99 (I don't recall his other two cards).

Would anyone have played this hand differently?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-06-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: PLO Hand

you mean there are actually PLO tables on party where only one person limps in?

i think you played it well, except that you should bet your last $20 on the river. since you intend to call anyway, and the only possible draw he can have has just hit (thus he will not bet a busted draw), you should bet in case he has a six with a worse kicker, an overpair, or even a 9 (i've seen crazier calls before). it is quite likely he will simply show any of these hands down if you check.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:14 PM

if you hadnt raised with the dry aces you maybe could have lost only about 20 bucks on the hand yet still break a player if it went well.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:43 PM

Ray,

I am trying to understand your explanation.

1. Would you raise with this hand against one UTG caller if you were on the button?

2. Would you raise if the hand were A6sAcKh, but still in early position?

3. If the answer to #1 & #2 were both no, would you raise with A6sAcKh on the button with one UTG caller?

thx,

Mark
Old 10-06-2003, 02:39 PM

Ray,

You are certainly correct that I could have minimized my losses by simply checking before the flop. Doing so however, I would have given up the chance to win right away, and the chance to put more money in the pot when I quite likely have the best hand. Do you feel the penalty of playing the hand out of position is sufficient to make raising pre-flop the wrong play?

BTW, in PLO how much side strength does AA need to be wet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] aces. I would have thought the suited 6s and the 64 straight possibility was enough.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-07-2003, 09:53 AM

you mean there are actually PLO tables on party where only one person limps in?

Heh, I played a few 1/2 Party games on sat night - one table tightened up to where on one hand everyone folded to the BB. I just got up and left.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:48 PM

paul, you were there and i wasnt. that always has to be taken into account. but raising here to win it outright only you know how likely that is. and the pot is very small.
to build the pot with this hand stinks. you already get to see the flop for free and putting your whole stack at risk now to protect your steal of six bucks isnt good.
your hand will get outplayed by any resonable hand that can call a riase from you here. and thats when the real money starts to get shoveled in the pot.
the best hand to win in a showdown is not always the hand that figures to win the most monsy or most often in a pot with betting.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:11 PM

Thanks Ray, you make a good point. My hand was really a drawing hand and I should have played it that way. By raising out of position I force myself to try and win the pot after the flop by betting (if I will check-fold after the flop unimproved, then the raise is clearly horrible). Betting though after the flop though means I am essentially risking $23 (if not $95) to win $7. Since no hand in Omaha is that much of a favorite, raising must be wrong.

(Ok, that is a bit of an exaggeration, my AAxx will sometimes make a hand that gets paid off.)

Paul
Old 10-07-2003, 03:12 PM

in theory it is never correct to pot-raise preflop in PLO unless you are able to outplay the opposition after the flop. this is just one reason why i recommend that people new to the game do not raise preflop unless they expect the opponents to call more loosely after the flop as a result.