Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: how many of you buy medical/dental insurance? And how much is it?

Advice: Move to Scandinavia

Medical care: Free
Dental care: 75% reduction
Social care: unemployed and seniors: gets paid by the state to maintain an OK living standard.

Downside: 50%-65% tax on income depending on level.
but who says the taxman knows about poker.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 03:38 PM

This has gotten a bit off topic from what the OP intended, so I will try to steer it back.

I am an independent consultant. I live in CA and have Blue Cross/Blue Shield. My deductible is $2k. My prescriptions are $15-name brand/$10-generic. My doctor visits are $45. For most other services, I pay 30% of costs. I pay $70/month for this.

DN
Old 05-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Medical $24 a month
Dental and drugs $50 a month
Old 05-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Hey Doc,

Read the NY Times Article on how 3 people, one a rich guy with connections, one middle class, and one poor, all fared when they had mild heart attacks in the big city before you
say the word rubbish.

This is reality: The rich guy got great care, the middle class guy got fair care, and the poor immigrant lady got almost no care.

MK
Old 05-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Im 23, non-smoking, male, in good health. I have a 2k deductible on "catastrope visits", pay 20$ for generic meds 30$ for non-generic, and pay 20$ for office visits. 68$ a month. Just do some research, for a young male health insurance is very affordable. If I was a women, it would be at least 250$ a month though.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason I'm asking is because recently I went to the dentist and was charged an outrageous amount. It's my teeth so I'm just going to pay what they say but it got me to thinking about medical ins.

I'm in my mid 20's and am healthy but it still costs quite a bit and the one's that are reasonably priced have a really high copay for every visit. So I'm just wondering what others have found out there that is reasonably priced

[/ QUOTE ]

Teeth are -EV over the long term. Have'em pulled now while you're young. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dental and Vision programs can be quite costly, but are great to have in place when you need them. Delta Dental is a major player in the market. Never had to mess with vision care policies though.

Get yourself something with a deductible as high as you can afford, then go one higher for catastrophic stuff. Shop and compare religously too.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:34 PM

i personally do not have medical insurance right now but am also considering it as well. however, one thing that has recently come to my attention is that if something catastrophic does happen you will get treatment and just be in debt for 100k or whatever the bill is. if you keep your money in a safe box or buried in the ground or something, they cant take that from you. if you own a house thats a whole different story.

personally, since im 20 i dont have many assest to lose. if i am in debt for 100k cant i just move to another country outside of us jurisdiction and avoid paying the debt, or how does this work? i really have no interest in living in america for the rest of my life anyway, and forsee myself moving to the caribean sometime in my 30s hopefully.

under these circumstances, shouldnt i just avoid getting insurance and if something catastrophic does happen i just move to another country?

is this even legal?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i personally do not have medical insurance right now but am also considering it as well. however, one thing that has recently come to my attention is that if something catastrophic does happen you will get treatment and just be in debt for 100k or whatever the bill is. if you keep your money in a safe box or buried in the ground or something, they cant take that from you. if you own a house thats a whole different story.

personally, since im 20 i dont have many assest to lose. if i am in debt for 100k cant i just move to another country outside of us jurisdiction and avoid paying the debt, or how does this work? i really have no interest in living in america for the rest of my life anyway, and forsee myself moving to the caribean sometime in my 30s hopefully.

under these circumstances, shouldnt i just avoid getting insurance and if something catastrophic does happen i just move to another country?

is this even legal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be much easier to just get catastrophic coverage that will likely cost less than $80 per month?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:32 PM

from what i understand catastrophic coverage will run 300/m. i havent looked into it personally however, out of sheer laziness. this figure was given to me by members of this forum. is it correct?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from what i understand catastrophic coverage will run 300/m. i havent looked into it personally however, out of sheer laziness. this figure was given to me by members of this forum. is it correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is dependent on the state you live in, I believe. I'm a 27 year old male and pay $45 a month with a $1500 deductible in WI. Ten minutes and a google search would give you your answer.