Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: 55 with flopped set

You also have to take into account the reverse implied odds, where you catch your set and still lose. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 09:54 AM

Could that be argument against calling raises out of position with pairs lower than 5's. It increases the posibility of set over set.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 AM

I agree, it's only a mouse click away.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With pocket pairs, a good rule of thumb is not to put in more than 5% of your, or your opponent's stack, whichever is less. The most you want to put in is 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]
How big must the PP be before this rule no longer applies? E.g., with KK or AA, presumably you're happy to be all-in before the flop. But as you move from QQ down to TT, say, what's the rule of thumb in these cases? At what point do you start playing pairs purely for their set value (which I assume is the point where the 5-10% rule applies)?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 AM

i agree with what most have said:

- your bet size on the flop is fine. a push discourages crappy hands like A6 from calling half your stack on the flop and the other half on the turn.

- i reload at $24.90. if you think $25 is your optimal buy-in, there's no reason to change that opinion because you just lost a few bucks. if you think $23 (or whatever) is optimal, then buy in at 23 and reload to get back there.

- fold pre-flop.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You also have to take into account the reverse implied odds, where you catch your set and still lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell me about it! In the hand in question, villain had A4o, giving him a rivered straight. Because I didn't move in on the flop, I let him pick up his OESD relatively cheaply. (Yes, he was still making a mistake by calling on the flop. But I should have made it a bigger mistake.)
Old 02-17-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You also have to take into account the reverse implied odds, where you catch your set and still lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell me about it! In the hand in question, villain had A4o, giving him a rivered straight. Because I didn't move in on the flop, I let him pick up his OESD relatively cheaply. (Yes, he was still making a mistake by calling on the flop. But I should have made it a bigger mistake.)

[/ QUOTE ]

that's yet another reason why you need a deeper stack to play for a set - or lots of other hands for that matter. You need to have enough chips to both take away a drawing hands odds on the flop, and then again on the turn. if you had a deeper stack, you couldve bet the pot or more on the turn and forced the OESD out. Your only other option with a smallish stack is to push all-in on the flop, but that often makes fold the villains you want to pay you off.

again, this isn't just true for playing a set - it applies to TPTK, two pair, a flopped str on a two-suited board, etc.

moral of the story is always have as big a stack as you're comfortable playing with so you have the largest array of moves at your disposal (and if you're uncomfortable risking the amount of a full buy-in or even 2 or 3 in one hand, then consider dropping down to lower stakes).

I also started as a limit player, and learning to appreciate the meaning and power of stack sizes was essential to making a succesful transition to no-limit.