Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Big hands, scary rivers

I'm recovering from a 20k losing/break even streak and I'm afraid I may be adjusting to it by playing too weak/tight...

here are a few examples:

HAND 1:
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (17 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero??? How many bets should I be willing to put in?

HAND 2:
Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>

Hero??? How many bets should I be willing to go here?

HAND 3:
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>

Hero???

On all of these hands I slowed down and check/called... regardless of results, I'm afriad it's too passive and want some outside opinions... long downswings seem to cloud my judgement.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Big hands, scary rivers

Hand 1:
Lead and then call a raise, if he raises he probably has the goods, he should be just as scared as you are about the straight

Hand 2:
Cap this no question, if you run into AQ or AT then oh well, AK, QQ, TT are all more likely than him having the last ace and a queen or ten to go with it

Hand 3:
Flat call the raise, a FH or straight is very possible.. 25, A4, 56 all could play this hand like this, if I had to guess I would guess 56, maybe of clubs, unless he is tricky, but the fact that you cap the flop should tell him you have a 4 and being tricky is just costing him bets if he has a FH
Old 05-20-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero??? How many bets should I be willing to put in?

[/ QUOTE ]

As many as you can.

Actually, that doesn't sound that bad. He capped the flop. The only hand that beats you that would cap that flop (assuming villain is sane) is T9 of diamonds, maybe he capped with just diamonds, which doesn't beat you, MAYBE T9 not of diamonds, which beats you, but everything else (two pair, lower set, slowplayed rockets/kings) you pwn. At least bet/call.

Hand 2:
Well the only hands that beat you are AT/AQ. I'd ordinarily just cap the river against a non-rock, but his turn line is...confusing. You're certainly still raising, so if he 3-bets its call or cap. I like capping, I think he see AK/QQ often enough here. If he just called the turn raise with AQ (to be "tricky"), he'd do it with AK too, and since a Q is out, AK is somewhat more likely.

Hand 3 I don't mind calling the river raise. Your hand is basically face-up: I have trips (or better). Unless you've seen him go too far with hands postflop, you're not usually going to war all the way down with a worse 4, against a less aggressive player anyway.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:52 PM

Hand 1: I'd check-call. You're telling him you have a set and he's still capping the turn. He'd jam the flop with a hand like T9 of diamonds, which got there on the turn.

Hand 2: Go all the way. If he has AT or AQ, good for him -- but he has weaker hands more often.

Hand 3: Looks overplayed actually. He sees the pair of 4s on the board and doesn't seem worried about trips. You can actually fold to the river c/r, but a call is fine given the pot size.

P.S. I loved you in CHARLES IN CHARGE.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:59 PM

No one even mentioned KJ diamonds for hand 2, which is possible
Old 05-20-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares about a flush? Hero has a boat.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:15 PM

Hand 1: I'm check/calling that river. I fear T9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hand 2: I'd raise that river definitely. You have like 3rd nuts HU.

Hand 3: I'd make a crying call on that river. I think you got trapped for more bets than necessary.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares about a flush? Hero has a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, even more reason to cap it