Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Question about Cano\'s baserunning

well, I didn't say it was a good idea, but he can do it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:25 PM

Anyone think Erstad set up "wrong" so as to force Cano to run inside the line? Cano jumped left, it looked like, not to avoid the throw, which he couldn't have seen coming from behind him, but to avoid running into Erstad.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:28 PM

I agree. He was obviously not ready to play every day when they made him the starting second baseman, but Womack was so bad they had no choice. Despite his batting average, he had a very low OBP as he hardly walked. His fielding, I thought, was atrocious and I questioned, earlier this year, whether the Yankees could be a championship team with him playing second base. (I also questioned whether the Angels could win the championship with Figgins playing third. I still think it will come to haunt them.)

He does seem a little careless in everything he does, but perhaps that's just his demeanor. Like you, though, I'm optimistic he'll become a fine player. He's only 22.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:31 PM

Earlier this year is one thing. A do-or-die game is another. That's why I suggested above that perhaps Erstad deliberately stood where he was in foul territory, the "wrong" place.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think Erstad set up "wrong" so as to force Cano to run inside the line? Cano jumped left, it looked like, not to avoid the throw, which he couldn't have seen coming from behind him, but to avoid running into Erstad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost wrote this question at the end of my initial post. I decided not to, (that Erstad was "baiting" Cano to run inside) because such a plan made no sense. There was no need to resort to trickery, as the throw was there in plenty of time ... Erstad just missed it. Furthermore, I cannot imagine the team would find any useful time to practice such a play.

I can understand that Erstad may have "intentionally" set up outside just because that seemed like the best line for the catcher to make his throw, but not to deke Cano into breaking the rule (Not to mention, they would be taking a huge risk that the rule would be 1) broken, and 2) enforced).
Old 10-11-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier this year is one thing. A do-or-die game is another. That's why I suggested above that perhaps Erstad deliberately stood where he was in foul territory, the "wrong" place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, maybe you recall: What was the circumstance in which the baserunner/batter was called out during Orel Hershiser's record - breaking streak? I am trying to recall the situtation. I think it was in the 9th or 10th inning against San Deigo and a run actually "scored" but was called back.

Was it an interference play? or was it a play where the bases were loaded and the batter did not move away from an inside pitch, allowing it to hit him?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Erstad is going to do that on the whim that the ump calls Cano out.

You are ridiculous. Erstad is a veteran, he's not going to do somethign stupid like that with so much on the line.

Cano EFFED up, admit it. Typical Yankee fan can't understand why they lose... have to blame someone else.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Here is the relevant rule:

The runner is out if "In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line and, in the umpire's judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, or attempting to field a batted ball; The lines marking the three foot lane are a part of that 'lane' but the interpretation to be made is that a runner is required to have both feet within the three foot 'lane' or on the lines marking the 'lane'."

[emphasis added]

I'd have to see it again, but I thought Cano had his left foot on the line (that is, touching it, with his toes only to the left), not to the left of it, the whole way. He jumped to the left, into fair territory, only to touch the base. As the lane ends at the base, he cannot be considered outside the lane as he touches the base. And in any event, it's not clear to me that Cano was responsible for Erstad not catching the ball. I think Erstad just never saw the throw because of Cano.

I think I might reverse my judgment; I think the umpire might have gotten this one wrong.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:05 PM

"This is supposed to be a rookie of the year candidate and he runs in the base path?"

Isn't that where he's supposed to run?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:20 PM

Don't remember the play, sorry. I was at Dodger Stadium the night Don Drysdale threw his 6th consecutive shutout. The Giants had bases loaded in the 9th with hobody out and Drysdale hit Dick Dietz. (It was Drysdale's record that Orel broke.) The umpire wouldn't allow him to take his base, ruling, correctly in my judgment, that Dietz deliberately let the ball hit him without getting out of the way. Drysdale then got Dietz, and the next two, without a run scoring and preserved the shutout.

Your post above on the ruling was a good one. But I don't think Cano ran out of the lane. The rule states his feet must be in the lane or on the lines. I'm going by memory but I think his right foot was always in the lane and his left foot was always at least touching the line. That is, his toes might have been "over the line" but his foot was always at least touching the fair line.

Cano then darted to the left to avoid running into Erstad. As the lane ends at the base, his jumping to the left would not constitute being outside the lane. When I originally saw the play, and didn't know the exact language of the rule, I felt that, while somewhat ticky-tacky, the decision to rule interference on Cano was justified. Now I'm not so sure.

What I think happened is that Erstad just messed up and was set up in a spot where Molina couldn't get the ball to him. Generally speaking, on a ball behind the catcher, the first baseman will set up in foul territory, that being the best angle to avoid the throw from hitting the runner since the catcher is throwing from behind home plate. (My original proposal that Erstad might have set up there to create the appearance of interference seems wrong.) And he never saw the throw, being blocked out by Cano as the ball didn't go as far back behind the plate as it might have. He just missed it. It doesn't seem to me Cano interfered with Erstad taking the throw. In order for there to be interference Cano has to have run outside the lane and that act of running outside the lane had to interfere with Erstad handling the throw. I plead guilty to being a Yankee fan, but I honestly don't think either of those things happened.

If Cano darted to the left to hit the base, which he clearly did, how could he have been too far to the left to begin with?