Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Are all Astrology devotees Evil

Taking the core of a previous thread as a starting point:
What criteria should we use to assess wether an irrational position is deleterious (either to the individual or to society). Should we use the maxim "it's illogical it must be bad", should we rely on anecdotal evidence, or should we cite clinical/sociological studies.

Eaxample --

Accepting the worth of astrological predications while being aware of overwhelming evidence contradicting their validity is clearly irrational (yet manifestly a function of the normal human psyche - by normal I mean the modal group within the population)

The real question is are they EVIL.

Seriously, I don't mean the bible "tho shall not permit a female sorceress to live" stuff.

I mean do they have a significant negative utility or impact upon society or a subgroup thereof (apart from annoying 2+2ers).

Exapnding upon Davids concept of a "functional heroin addict"

semi-functional "smack-heads" as we call herion addicts in the UK, tend to steal, mug or indulge in a variety of other anti-social or illegal pursuits.

Functional addicts are generally fine while they have the cash, but as with alchoholics there is often a hidden impact upon the family of the user.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Are all Astrology devotees Evil

There are a lot of people who don't care about the logic of astrology and use it as a tool for self discovery. It gives them a mechanism to assist their exploration of personal qualities. The I Ching works similiarly. That the mechanism is something other than empirical science is not relevant to its usefulness for them. What is relevant is that they find the mechanism fascinating to use and that it is one shared by others. Astrology is +EV for these people.

However, if taken to superstitous controlling extremes it can be very -EV and fit common definitions of being Evil.

It's a little like asking if the drug morphine is good or evil. It depends on how it's used.

PairTheBoard