Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 02:46 AM

Default interesting queens hand

A friend asked me to post this hand he had from the home game the other night.

.10/.20 NLHE Hero is BB with $30, Button has Hero covered

Hero dealt QhQc folded around to button who makes it .80 to go

SB folds, Hero raises to $3, Button reraises to $6, Hero calls

Heads up to the flop, flop comes
2h 3c 4d

Hero checks, Button bets $5, Hero calls

turn comes

7h

Hero checks, Button checks

River comes
5c

Hero thinks then moves in for $19, Button calls

How do you think my friend is doing here, I don;t like his play but he thinks it is solid, results later.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: interesting queens hand

as long as i couldn't put villain on KK or AA, i C/R allin on the flop

hero deciding to push allin -once the str8 that includes the Ace hits on the river- is probably not a good move. given the action; only thing calling there, that hero has beat, is probably JJ
Old 04-06-2005, 03:10 AM

I don't understand the river push. Is it a bluff or a value bet. What hands will call here that Hero can beat? JJ? I don't know how wild your game was but If my reraise got raised pf I'd be very cautious with QQ. I'd also be very reluctant to build a pot pf with QQ when im not in position.

I think I'd bet the flop, fold to a raise and check the turn if called. If button bets reasonably on turn then I might fold. I don't know. This is such a guessing game. It would be read dependent but I would probably fold. On the other hand I might bet the turn if called on the flop if I feel my hand has a fair chance of being good. I simply don't have well defined line here. My actions will depend on the game, my opponent and my feeling. I would check the river. At no point will I put my stack in.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 AM

I find this to be a very interesting hand-I think every decision in this hand is bad and is textbook on what not to do. Quite interesting. Reraising preflop out of position heads up is quite questionable, but once you do and you get reraised it's almost definitley an all-in or fold. Hero called. Hero checked the flop, which I wouldn't, but given that he did and got a bet out of button, calling instead of raising is terrible. Having now gotten a lot of hero's stack in on the flop, hero decided to give a free card on the turn risking the chance that hero was bluffing and would not like to see a free river. Hero should bet, he checked. The river came a scare card that made it such that if hero were ahead this whole hand, he most certainly is behind now and made a bet that is the very definition of a valueless bet-the ONLY benefit would be pushing off KK but KK does not check that turn. So, if behind, called. If ahead, not called. If ahead, probably not bet at. I am about 99% certain based on the betting that villain has AK, reraised preflop, took a stab at the pot, decided to give up the turn, and then called screaming "I'm rich, bitch!" on the river.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am about 99% certain based on the betting that villain has AK, reraised preflop, took a stab at the pot, decided to give up the turn, and then called screaming "I'm rich, bitch!" on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that river call would be -EV (in other words: it's an outstanding sucker call).

Anyway I also think this is an interesting hand. QQ is very hard to play against a reraise or out of position simply because it's hard to know if your ahead or behind (and also because you can be outdrawn). The key is to not give away the initiative. I think FoxwoodsFiend's line is good in this perspective. You can't get passive with QQ. Taking the initiative doesn't mean you have to go to the river though. Actually check folding is ok. That's not a passive play to me. What's important is that you decide what you want to do rather than following your opponents lead. It sounds so easy, but to be honest almost all mistakes I make are of this kind, that is, I give away initiative because I'm worried about being beaten.