Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 03:16 AM

Default AKs UTG

It's becoming clear to me I have a lot to learn. Might as well dive in and start posing iffy hands ...

PP $50 NL. I ($53) have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG and limp. UTG+2, who just sat down and posted, raises his post to $2. Loose somewhat laggy MP calls. I call.

Flop (~$7) - 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check hoping to checkraise UTG+2, he bets $3, MP folds, I make it $10. UTG+2 re-raises the minimum to $17.

Blech. I thought about mucking it, but called planning to check any card and see what he does. I have no idea if this is what I should have planned to do, but it's what I did, so you know.

Turn (~$41) - 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I checked. He went all-in for his last $31. I mucked.

Help?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: AKs UTG

I do everything differently than you did.

Raise pre-flop. Bet the flop. Call the turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:46 AM

I generally don't mind folding a pair, but this hand is suspect. I can't really put him on a two pair or a str8. Then only trips remain, but for some reason I put him on an ace. Maybe it's becaus sets always smooth call raises (I almost never do, but it's my experience that others do). So, I think he has an ace. I say reraise the flop all-in, or at least bet the turn. Since you called on the flop I think you should bet the turn. If he has an ace he'll pay off and if he has a set then you have outs, but as I said, I think he had an ace. I don't think your fold is terribly bad play. It might even be right. The situation is not clean cut. To conclude, in this particular hand I wouldn't check-fold the turn. I'd bet and hope.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:27 AM

People who post UTG+1 tend not to be too great. I think that limping PF is ok on some tables (if you will get payed off when an A or K hits well enough), and it's also fine to just check this flop to the PF raiser. I do think it's better to check/call flop, check/call turn, lead out river unless some very interesting cards fall or he gets crazy with the betting.

This way you get the most out of AQ and lose the least to something wierd. I find it highly unlikely he is raising 55 here by the way, so the only thing to worry about is A5/A2. With the turn giving you the extra 9 outs, there's no way I'm folding this.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 AM

i doubt he had put you on a-k, at least until the flop, so what do you think he's trying to represent here-or is he too straight forward for that?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:31 AM

Well if he has a set of fives, he may have outs but he's in horrible shape.

Board: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 21.5909 % [ 00.18 00.03 ] { A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] }
Hand 2: 78.4091 % [ 00.75 00.03 ] { 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] }

I'd personally put him on the pocket fives, pocket twos, but definately not the straight. Two pair is even questionable-- but I don't know if this player would push with a weak ace, because he got so much resistance on the flop.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:31 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] that statment you just said Spladle [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You said it just as it should be said!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:34 AM

People who post UTG+1 are probably way too straight forward for that. I seriously think it's possible he has AK or less here, and you are either seriously dominating or freerolling on that part of his hand range.

The times he has two pair (which is probably low given his PF raise) you are still about 1/4 to win and the times he has a set you're about 1/5.

It's 31 to call, 41 in the pot already. You only have to win about half the time to make this clearly a good play, so he only has to have AK or less half the time (actually less than this, because you drawout more often than he does when losing).
Old 04-01-2005, 04:57 AM

TPTK with nut flush draw and you mucked a ~2:1 call?

Do not be afraid of the straight on the board. With UTG+2's preflop raise, you can be basically guaranteed that he does not have a 3.

Honestly, I'm very certain that UTG+2 had AK/AQ/AJ based on his play. He had no reason to believe that you had AK (raise preflop!), so he probably thought that he was ahead and got aggressive with you. I certainly would in his spot.

So anyways. Raise preflop, bet the flop (3/4+ of the pot should be fine), and insta-call the turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm very certain that UTG+2 had AK/AQ/AJ based on his play. He had no reason to believe that you had AK (raise preflop!), so he probably thought that he was ahead and got aggressive with you. I certainly would in his spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly