Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Picking on Vogl tonight

I found it funny how the announcers were making fun of Vogl's bright orange fleece sweatshirt on tonight's episode. I think they also made a comment about his paper route (him being only 24). I guess they're not aware of how many young people are learning the game very well now over the internet.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Picking on Vogl tonight

It sounds like jelousy to me. I guess thats why Normand Chad is sitting on the sidelines. As bad as Vogl think he is, and as little experience as he has, I know he could wipe the floor with Norm... just listen to some of the comments he makes sometimes. He says calling an early raise with QJ at a full table is a good move, then says calling a raise from a steal position with KQ at a 3 handed table is a bad move. What a moron.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:10 AM

Up until this point I have thought the ESPN coverage was very good (in previous years), but I thought these comments were really low class and brought the entire telecast down with it. I actually sent an email to ESPN stating how I felt and suggesting the commentator(s?) make an apology for their remarks. (Feel free to do the same at http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html or askespntv@espn.twdc.com )

Anyone that makes the final table (regardless of age, sex, race, etc, etc) is a damn good player and deserves respect not ridicule. Lets hope they get their act together, thoughtless comments like these are what prevent poker from becoming a fully recognized "sport".

J
Old 07-07-2004, 09:40 AM

Man, Jason, right on!! I feel the exact same way. Last year was decent coverage, but last night was awful. I kept waiting for VVP to make a cameo and talk about the monster "wired pair of 4's" and call someone Suzie Homemaker.

They had a completely lame explanation of Stud, and never even said what the limits were. Hopefully coverage of the main event is better. Thanks for that link, Jason, I will definitely send in comments.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:15 AM

As far as the commentators go, I sort of agree that they seemed to pick on Vogl (age, dress, everything else not important etc.). However, I think he deserved to have his play picked apart. I don't think he made but 2 good moves the entire show (granted, there could have been some major editing done and we, the audience, could have been shown just his bad moves). But I honesty was not impressed with Vogl. He seemed to make some horrible calls and seemed to disregard pot odds. His bully tactics were hardly well planned and he could not seem to lay the tough hand down. All this being said, he did win the tourney. So I guess in the end, it really doesn't matter...I just was really happy that they were showing such horrible play. All I kept thinking was, man, I hope the fish at home try and play just like him.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:14 PM

First off, that jumpsuit WAS ugly. Vogl knew he would be on TV, and he chose to wear it. How could Norm not mention it?

Second, Vogl did make some bad calls in the hands they televised. I was not impressed.

Finally, I think the paper route dig was uncalled for.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:18 PM

My favorite was Vogl when he won:

"I'd really rather not hold the money up. It's rather garish. I'm British, we're understated."

He was the first player to make me wonder if one giant streak of luck really could carry you through an entire tournament.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:55 PM

The comments showed a little more real humor and intelligence than the Top Ten Weekly Cliches from WPT, and I thought that a few of the remarks about age were meant to also be self-deprecating references to being older and sitting on the rail. But we all read our own viewpoint into these situations. Certainly nothing to get your shorts in a twist, as I belive the Brits say.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:38 PM

That jumpsuit was fly. Don't be hatin'

I thought it was a bit that was trying to be funny. I don't find it horribly offensive. However if for the whole three months we're subjected to Chad bitching about young people, it'll get old quick.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:47 PM

He was the first player to make me wonder if one giant streak of luck really could carry you through an entire tournament.

If so, that giant streak of lusk lasted more than just one tournament. He also had these finishes:

Event #13, $5,000 No-Limit Hold 'Em, 27th, $7,160
Event #23, $1,500 No-Limit Hold 'Em, 12th, $12,660