Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Probability that Britian made the first moon landing.

This post concerns two important probability assesments.

Much debate has taken place regarding the plausibility of the US moon landings, and the general consensus is that this that these did indeed take place. However:
there is some evidence to suggest that A British lunar vehicle in fact made the first landing.
A popular UK newspaper (Daily Sport) some years ago published photographic evidence of the London Bus that had made it to the moon.
Since the average speed of a london Bus is in the region of 40 to 50 mph, it is suggested that the landing may well predate the US landings. The only complication is that Elvis was apparently found on the Bus, and there is thus the possibility either of a later dating or that a US citizen rather that the presumably British Driver, stepped onto the Lunar surface first.

The required probabilities are:
Given the available evidence.

1: what is the probability that a British Lunar Mission succesfully landed on the Moon prior to the US missions (assuming the latter actually happenned)

2: What is the probability that a Brit was the first man or woman to set foot on the moon.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Probability that Britian made the first moon landing.

As with almost all things of this sort, the probability is much smaller than one/one googol and much bigger than one/one googolplex. Thats why my father's math professor, Edward Kasner, coined those words.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:45 AM

You got it completely confused, there was never a British driver invoved.

What actually happened, is that towards the end the American space program was getting into financial difficulty, and some unidentified eccentric billionaire offered to help out.

He imposed the conditions that he and a London bus were transported up to the moon, and further that his sponsorship was not to be made public under any circumstances, with server liabilites to the Amerivan gouvenment if it was.

I do not know how the Sport found out about it, but they were quickly motivated to pretend the story was a joke.

I never understood the bit about Elvis though [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Much debate has taken place regarding the plausibility of the US moon landings, and the general consensus is that this that these did indeed take place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote somebody should start a moon-landing conspiracy thread. Just not me. OP?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He imposed the conditions that he and a London bus were transported up to the moon, and further that his sponsorship was not to be made public under any circumstances, with server liabilites to the Amerivan gouvenment if it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh now I understand. The event was made public by way of the leaked photo's, and the sponsor responded (liability enforced) by attempting to undermine the credibility of the American landing, by sponsoring the hoax conspiracy guys).

Way to go. Cross a Brit and see what you get. Ha.