Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 10:31 AM

Default I just don\'t get it.

NASCAR. WTF? I simply cannot understand this. And I'm putting this here instead of sporting events because I don't think it fits the definition of a sport.

I'm not talking crap about it, I honestly want to know, because I try and rationalize it but I can't. Why are people interested in which car makes it around the circle the fastest? Why do people revere the drivers? Why would people put #8 stickers on their car and wear the hats? What is it about this activity that captivates a massive number of Americans?

I'll understand if I get a lot of "it's just like rooting for any other team sport" type responses, but anything more would be appreciated. I want to understand.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: I just don\'t get it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll understand if I get a lot of "it's just like rooting for any other team sport" type responses

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd get this because, basically, that's wahat it is. Why do people revere the quarterbacks and the point guards, why do they buy the jerseys?

There's an adrenaline level that goes along with machines going at ridiculously high speeds, especially at the superspeedways like Talladega and Daytona. The drivers are incredibly skilled to do what they do - ever seen 3 cars wide at 165 on the highway, 3 inches apart?

This is most definitely a sport - direct competition between the drivers (And their teams). There's so much work involved in this thing, between fuel calculations, pit stop times, and car testing at each different track. Its not just a bunch of hicks putting a car out there and saying "Go faster, dammit!".

Oh yeah, and there's the crashes. Of course, I don't think I'm going to change your mind about this, but that's what I could come up with this morning, sick and dog-tired, getting ready for class.

See you in Sporting Events, when this goes there.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM

They build really fast cars and drive them in circles. What's not to get? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 10:39 AM

Eloquently worded compared to most of the responses I've gotten in person. I think the crashes get mentioned first most of the time though.

Thank ya.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 AM

Maybe it's the chicks?

Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 AM

NASCAR was born from moonshine drivers in the South racing their hot rods against each other. They built hot rods to outrun the police. So among the old time and Southern fans, NASCAR represents the little guy vs. The Man, my car's faster than yours, that kind of thing.

Amongst the poseurs, God knows what they get out of it.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Don't try to understand the South.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:56 AM

This is the guy who thought Criss Angel was actually levitating.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:59 AM

The only sport I usually watch is football. American football, that is.

Baseball is too long and boring to watch. I have no idea why anyone watches golf (get the little ball in the hole. Yay.). Soccer is gay. I have watched parts of a couple of NASCAR races and I think the main attraction for me was that someone could die at any time.

Basically, you could make this post about most any sport because they all suck in their own way.

Edit: By the way, it seems like you're more effeminate than most other posters, so it's no surprise that you don't get a macho sport like NASCAR.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR was born from moonshine drivers in the South racing their hot rods against each other. They built hot rods to outrun the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean this guy???