Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Hard time re-reading books

How can you guys bring yourself to re-read books? I find it very hard to do. I own and have read a lot of the most talked about books.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Hard time re-reading books

[ QUOTE ]
How can you guys bring yourself to re-read books?

[/ QUOTE ]

The desire to get better.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you guys bring yourself to re-read books?

[/ QUOTE ]

By losing.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 AM

To fully understand the material
Old 07-29-2005, 03:11 AM

Rereading a poker book after reading it once and then playing a lot of poker is like reading a travel book about a place you have never been, going there, and then rereading the travel book.

You are not the same person you were when you read it the first time. (If you are, it is time to quit reading and quit playing poker.)

The book is not the same as when you read it the first time. (If it is, it is not a book worth reading, let alone rereading.)
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rereading a poker book after reading it once and then playing a lot of poker is like reading a travel book about a place you have never been, going there, and then rereading the travel book.

You are not the same person you were when you read it the first time. (If you are, it is time to quit reading and quit playing poker.)

The book is not the same as when you read it the first time. (If it is, it is not a book worth reading, let alone rereading.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly true. If you desire to beat this game is great (ie: you really want it) then by the time you come back to the book you will pick up new things, while things giving u trouble before and such simpleton concepts to you...that the advanced stuff u missed out on, becomes clear.

Something like that anyway.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:56 AM

The very first book I read on the subject was Theory of Poker. I didn't know what to do with the example since I didn't know Razz, Draw nor Stud. Now a couple of books later I re-read it and all of a sudden it seems to be much clearer. It seems to me that I understood the concepts much better on the 2nd try than on the 1st. Especially Theory of Poker has this ahhhh-effect on the 2nd read.

I am planning on reading it for a 3rd time.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:37 AM

That definitely makes a lot of sense, thanks for the well thought out answers. How long would you think is a good time before re-reading a particular book? Or do you jus kind of pick it up? I mean there has to be time for change and such.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:41 AM

I've probably re-read the HOH's the most ainxw I've become a decent player. I'd say I'm on my 4th or 5th reading of each. When I was just learning, I read Winning Low Limit Hold'em about 10 times, and I still glance thru it every now and then.

I want to be the best possible player that I can be, and I know that takes a full understanding of the game and concepts. In addition, I take notes after each session and reflect on what I did good and what I did bad (trying not to make the same mistakes twice).
Old 07-29-2005, 02:28 PM

Everytime I buy a "new" book, I find myself discovering most "new" concepts hidden within the pages of TOP when I reread. Things like Miller's Short Stack Theory could be learned by thinking deeply about the chapter on implied odds... they don't come into play when you are nearly all-in, so it becomes correct to wait for stronger starting hands and push your edges that are based on your immediate pot odds(GSIH is a good starter book though). You could learn alot about tournament play by reading the chapter on ante structure and a few passages from other chapters that mention things like not pushing small edges on a limited bankroll(in a tournament, your bankroll is limited since you can't rebuy).

I've probably reread TOP the most out of all my books because I believe it is the best book available. With enough time and effort, a player can discover alot of the games secrets through a diligent study of the book.

If you asked me to reread something like Cloutier's book, I doubt I could do it.